I am just checking to make sure I am signed up for Microsoft…

I am just checking...

I am just checking to make sure I am signed up for Microsoft protection. Is 1-***-***-**** a legit number for tech support?

Technician's Assistant: What Microsoft model do you have? And the Operating System (OS)?

You,ll have to forgive me I,m not sure...? Yesterday I had a screen come up saying I had a big problem. I called the number provided -(###) ###-####- is that number legit for microsoft? Spoke with a ***** *****...

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

I signed up over the phone - I believed it was for system security am supposed to get a customer ID number today - ? Mr. Wilson put a "computer help" number of(###) ###-####on the bar at the bottom of my computer screen. When I called that number last evening I spoke with Mark and he assigned a tech person by the name of Peter.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your smartphone?

It appears that I now have Microsoft Edge. Is that correct?

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your smartphone? What have you tried so far?

This all happened yesterday. I was told that I had been hacked...

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?

I did not have an issue with my smartphone. This all happened while i was on my computer.

3/13/2018
Richard, Computer Specialist

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

No it is not, This person was not working for Microsoft and Microsoft would never call you for no reason.

This is what is known as "phone phishing" it is can be a very serious problem if you do let them access your computer.
Basically what they will do is call a lot of phone numbers and say that you have problems. Any actual computer problems you have will be entirely coincidental. Usually what they will do is show you the windows error log which always shows a lot of errors but these are normal and on all windows computers, they are not viruses.
Next they log onto your computer and lie to you about the numerous problems they pretend to find. Next they will attempt to get you to pay a few hundred dollars to "fix" the issues when in fact they actually do nothing too helpful.

Always remember, no legitimate tech support company would ever call you. Your computer does not report to Microsoft or any other company so if any tech support person calls you can trust it is a scam and just hang up.

Please do me a favor and take a moment to rate my service by clicking the stars above, 3 or more is very appreciated, we can still chat after rating if you need more help.

Thank you

Richard, Computer Specialist