I have a notebook and two desktops connected by my home

I have a notebook...

I have a notebook and two desktops connected by my home router. Desktops can see the other 2 computers in the network of file explorer but the notebook cannot see any. How can I make the notebook see other computers?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?

All are windows 10, lates updates. Brands are all different. Notebook is LD Ultrabook.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your laptop? Have you installed any updates recently?

All updates have been installed.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I searched internet and found some suggestions, including netsh, but they don't do anythng good.

3/13/2018
David L
David L, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Enabling network discovery on the laptop should resolve the issue.

To do this do the following:

First click the Windows Start button then the Search box and type

network

in the search box and select Network and Sharing Center in the search list that appears.

Next, select Change Advanced Sharing Settings

Select Turn On Network Discovery in Settings

Select to Save Changes.

Test and let me know the result.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Network Discovery is already turned on. File and Printer Sharing is turned off. I tried to turn it on, but it wouldn't save the change. I click Save the Change and when I come back, it is turned off. I did perform DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and sfc /scannow found everything OK.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I ran Windows troubleshooter for Share Folder. It did not find anything wrong. Please bear in mind that my Windows is a Korean version and my English translation of Korean terms may not be correct in some cases.

Ok, then next run the HomeGroup troubleshoot by performing the following steps:

Click the Windows Start button then type Troubleshooting in the Search box and select the top most search result.

Click View All (in the left panel) and select HomeGroup.

Click on the Advanced option and select Apply Repairs Automatically option.

Follow the prompts to complete the HomeGroup troubleshooting.

Check to see if the issue is resolved once the troubleshooter completes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The troubleshooter completed and did not find anything wrong, but the issue still persists.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The HomeGroup troubleshooter completed and did not find anything wrong, but the issue still persists.

Ok then next click the Windows Start button then the Search box and type

cmd

then right click on the command prompt icon that appears and click Run as Administrator.

On the command prompt type

sfc /scannow

and press Enter. Then let the scan run and find and fix corrupt system files. Then reboot and test to see if the issue is resolved.

Please let me know the result.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As I said yesterday, I performed sfc /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth. It was of no use. This morning I installed Windows 10 Version 1709 March update. Nothing changed.

Ok then next click the Windows Start button then click the Search box and type

services.msc

in the Search box and press Enter.

Scroll through the list of services and locate the following:

Home Group Listener & Home Group Provider

Peer Networking Grouping & Peer Networking Identity Manager

Double click on each and change the startup type to automatic, then click Apply then OK.

Do that for each of the services then reboot and check to make sure they are running.

Then try enabling Turn On Network Discovery in settings and test to see if the issue is resolved.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Now the file explorer lists the other computer in "Network." but , when I click it, an alert message say I may not have the right to access the resource. I stll cannot change the Advanced Share Settings and this seems to be the main problem.

Ok good as it sounds like network discovery is working.

Next, on all computers that will be sharing over the network do the following:
Press the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut and in the menu that appears click Network Connections.
Right-click the network adapter you use to connect to the internet and select Properties.
Click to check/select the Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) option.
Click OK.

On the main Windows 10 computer do the following:
Open the Start menu, do a search for HomeGroup and press Enter.
Click Create a homegroup.
On the wizard window that appears, click Next.
Choose what to share on the network and click Next.
The wizard will complete the setup, and you'll be presented with a HomeGroup password, which is needed to allow other computers to access files and printers. Write down or click the link to print the password.
Click Finish.
On the remaining computers do the following:
Click the Join now button.
Click Next.
Select the content you want to share on the network by using the drop down menu for each folder and click Next.
Enter the HomeGroup password ***** click Next.
Click Finish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did all this. The HomeGroup semms to have been created. Let's suppose that I have a Laptop(A) and 2 desktops(B and C). I mainly use A and the network problem I have is with A. B and C can access all the files in all the computers, but A cannot access B and C. In the HomeGroup I just created, A, B and C can have access to media files in B and C, but B and C's homegropu does not list A.The major differences between the computers are as follows:
1. Laptop is 64 bit while desktops are 32bit computers.
2. I have recently installed Office 2016 only in laptop.I didn't have this network problem before. I cannot exactly say that this problem started with the installation of Office, but the two incidents approximately coincide in timing.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Now I have a new problem. I used to have 3 to 4% CPU usage rate when the laptop was idling, but now I have around 40%. In the task manager I see Peer Networking Grouping, Com Surrogate, Home Group Provider, Home Group Listener, etc., taking up chunks of CPU.

Are all three computers connected to the network through the same device? I have witnessed similar issues with network shares occurred when the network connection involves more than one device or a new router that has configurations which prevent network discovery from working correctly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they are hard connected to one router. They had been working fine until recently. Nothing has changed in the router and the connections.

Ok, thanks. And they were all connected earlier without configuring a Homegroup, correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's right.

Ok, then next remove computers B and C from the Homegroup and reboot them.

Then disable the Homegroup and computer A and reboot that computer as well.

Then test connectivity between them and let me know your findings.

From that point I will provide instructions for configuring standard Windows file sharing between them.

Also, if you have not done so already, configure a user account on each computer that has the same username and password ***** the primary login account on the other two computers and make sure each account belongs to the Users group and that the network shares on each computer have been granted access to the Users group, then test the result.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I couldn't wait long. I clean installed Windows 10 on my laptop. It's perfect now.

Ok then it sounds like the Windows 10 install was corrupt. Glad you were able to resolve the issue and thanks for letting me know.

Best regards,

David.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This was my first question to JustAnswer and it was nice experience. Good luck!

Thank you for the feedback - much appreciated!

David L
David L, Systems Engineer
David L
David L
David L, Systems Engineer