I just installed outlook 2010 onto new laptop via original…

Customer Question
I just installed outlook...

I just installed outlook 2010 onto new laptop via original cd. I'm trying to import my files/folders from Outlook on my old pc. I have several problems, but one that bugs me is that when I go to File tab, I get two messages that I can do nothing with: 1) update in progress (cannot see that this happening) and 2) something about the Outlook Hotmail Connector (I do not use Hotmail!) How do I unstick these two red flag blocks?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your computer or device?

WIN 10

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update your Outlook?

After I installed Outlook 2010 on new computer, the computer checked and ran a bunch of updates, for everything I guess. Just now I went back to the update page and checked for updates. there were some but none for outlook 2010?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

My other big problem is with populating my newly installed outlook with the files/folders imported from old machine. I'm hoping if i cure the Connector issue (which is locking my import button) on the file tab, that i may be able to finally Import my data.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
3/12/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Robert M., Consultant replied 4 months ago
Robert M., Consultant

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your computer question. All I ask in return is that you please give me a 5 star excellent rating.

the update message may go off if you restart the computer

since you dont say what the message about the hotmail connector says i cant tell you what to do about it

but it should show up under extensions and you can probably disable it

as for the import? there is a much easier way

if you have a pst file you are trying to import

go to tools / data files ( older outlook)

OR

file /account settings / account settings ( newer outlook)

click on data file tab

click add

browse to the pst file

select it

hit ok

you will get a whole additional set of personal folders with everything that was in the old pst file you wanted to import

it is much faster and easier this way.

Answers: 1)does not go off with restart, 2) message says "Upgrade Outlook Connector- You must upgrade to latest version of OHC to continue this email account" another (first one actually) message says "Upgrade in Progress- Your mailbox is currently being optimized as part of upgrading to Outlook 2010" 3) you say should "show up under extensions" I do not know what your are talking about
no thanks
thanks Robert, good bye.

the fact that you do not understand what i mean does not mean that i am wrong

I have been doing this all the time for 20 years

it works for me

would you like me to log into your computer to show you how to do it?

I meant no disrespect to you. I’m frustrated with my ignorance. You can close this case, I do not need you anymore. I will carry on myself.

this is what i mean by adding the pst file rather than importing it

on the left is where it would list the pst files and you can add a new one

on the right is how they show up in the folder view of the outlook

if the hotmail connector is involved with an email account it is because it is a microsoft account such as outlook or live or hotmail or msn or a dozen others

this is not a simple thing. outlook is a royal pain to do anything but get email on.

I have been doing this for years

if it wont stop updating try to do the repair on it in the control panel or uninstall and re install it. or look to see if something is blocking the update. You run into stuff like this when you put 10 year old programs on new computers

you can reinstall the hotmail connector from this link

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24677

or you can disable it as an add in

• Launch Microsoft Outlook.
  • Click File > Options. ...
  • Click Add-ins on the left menu