Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

Received a message that my computer had an alert and to call

Received a message that my computer had an alert and to call a number. The number was 1(###) ###-#### Was this a scam.
JA: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?
Customer: Dell windows 10 I thonk
JA: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I got the message this morning. And called the number and unfortunately let the person get on my computer. What scared me was that he put a picture on the screen that showed my credit card numbers and then wanted me to boy a warranty before he would fix it. I think I made a big mistake. I did not buy warranty and called a friend that knows computers.
JA: The Computer Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Should I be worried about my credit cards

Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

This is absolutely a scam, it is very well known and we see this type of tech support scam often. No legitimate company would ever contact you this way. Your computer does not report its status to anyone. Usually what will happen is once you are in contact with them they will lie to you about issues that your computer does not have such as it is being hacked or has viruses. They will then attempt to charge you many hundreds of dollars to fix the fake issues. You should call your credit card company immediately and let them know what happened. If they do call you again do not speak to them and do not let them have access to your computer. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating for providing you a quick answer! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If I did not give him a credit card number do I still need to worry about the page that he showed me that had a list of credit card numbers that I used?

Yes you do, this means that your credit card number could be out there online. Do you want me to connect to your computer and have a look and make they cannoiit get back in? If so CLICK HERE