I have a Dell laptop. It needed a new hard drive in January…

I have a Dell...

I have a Dell laptop. It needed a new hard drive in January and it has been working fine since then. However, when I type I find that numbers come out incorrectly or if a word has letters and numbers in it such as an insurance ID like ABC123455 then the ABC disappears and the 123455 get jumbled. Also, it will type a few letters and then go back to the beginning or middle of the word to continue typing.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your Dell?

I'm not sure of the model number but it's only about 3 years old and Windows 10.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Dell? Have you installed any updates recently?

The new hard drive that was installed and then I had to re-install all of my programs.

3/12/2018
Dan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Did you happen to come in contact with the ribbon cable that connects the keyboard to the motherboard when you were changing out the hard drive?

I didn't change it myself. It was done by Geek Squad at Best Buy.
I don't have my laptop with me. I'm at work at the moment.

Okay. It sounds like the cable that connects your keyboard may not be fully secured to the motherboard which is why you are having the problems. You should take it back to Best Buy and have them take a look at it.

Thank you. That makes sense and I will bring it back to them.

If you found my assistance helpful, please remember to rate my service. Have a nice day!

Dan, Computer Support Specialist