Can anybody teach me why an USB device will often delayed in…

Hi, can anybody teach me...
Hi, can anybody teach me why an USB device will often delayed in detection? I use a computer KVM swapper between 2 computers. The swapping sometimes very slow in responding, or simply "off". What are the differences between the protocol in 2.0 and 3.0? And can this delayal be prevented?I know USB means serial connection. That means it is handling digitally, not analogously. What are the differences between the USB and LPT protocols? Maybe I would ask some technical information of USB, how its electrical circuits are made, and how to write a code(VB5) about it. If It's too complicated, just some guidance or outline will be sufficient. Thank you.(My category is Computers and Mobile Devices,
but your page is not reacting. Can you fit me into
its suitable categories?)
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/12/2018
Benjamin Larson
Benjamin Larson, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, I'm Benjamin. Welcome to our site. I'm reviewing your question now and I'll reply with more details ASAP.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, you are having a KVM swapper that has a bit of a delay and you want to solve that, but you are also a bit curious to why the problem exists. Am I understanding you correctly?

So I've noticed that some KVM's are cheaply made, and there is a delay before things switch over. You can also have delays at the driver level, so either upgrading your KVM or upgrading your drivers may help. You can also do a simple test of unplugging and plugging the offending device back in and see if that changes things.

There are several differences between USB 2 and 3. The main differences you may be interested in are that USB 3 uses more wires, is much faster and is full duplex, meaning the data transfer happens both ways at the same time.

You are correct, that USB stands for Universal Serial Bus, so it is an evolved form of serial communication. LPT stands for Line Print Terminal and is pretty much obsolete these days. I am not sure how many non-USB printers are even available at this point.

It sounds like you are thinking about writing a driver using Visual Basic 5? I think that may be possible, but most drivers are written in a lower level language such as C for performance reasons. So I'd suggest that if you are interesting in learning driver development.

I hope that answers your questions. If it does, I'd greatly appreciate a positive rating. If you need more help, just reply here and I'll answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As a matter of fact, it's not only curious. I have gradually figuring out that many of my appendices to computer must knowing USB. Thank you for your outlining of the concepts, they are quite precise. I have coded the LPT using C, it's cin, cout, if I remember correctly. Now, I have the merchandise of packed suit in my country for both the control and its VB code for USB. But I have to learn its functional trustworthiness and what it can do.To read the ever updating protocols is really mess me up. The LPT is fun, it's just as concise as a ADC or DAC chips, and it will never let you down. It's my project to reach the same skills in USB. Can you list several reference sites which are educational and translucent about the evolution of USB? Because I'm not an electronics student, what if not considering rate of performance, just workable for newbies, what are the resources often used by learners?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is the remote system assistance a system message? I can't make credit because the rating stars are not responding.
Yeah the remote assistance is an automatic optional add on. You should be able to rate now or comment in here my rating.Sorry for not responding to you earlier, I wasn't feeling well today. I am a software engineer for my day job and I do this site on the side. Good luck with the coding and have fun!
Oh and if you want to learn some of this low level stuff, I highly suggest you purchase an Arduino Uno. I personally am trying to learn more about this for work (my main job) and I bought an Arduino clone kit from Amazon and a great class from Udemy. I can link both if you want.
Benjamin Larson
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The class is great(I need the link). But the device I only have to know the name. I've heard Arduino is a device for Flash. Well the suggestion is really illuminating.Please take care of your health in the first place. Maybe this asking is not timing. Hope I'll see you again. Thank you.

Class: https://www.udemy.com/arduino-sbs-17gs

The Arduino is a small microcontroller board - it is useful for small electronics work and contains serial interfaces that you can wire up and learn on. You "flash" the firmware onto the device, so maybe that's what you are thinking when you thought of flash.

Anyway, thanks for the positive rating and you can always feel free to ask for me in future questions and a moderator will bring the question to my attention

Benjamin Larson
Benjamin Larson