I'm attaching the specs of my pc. I'd like to connect 2-3…

i'm attaching the specs of...
i'm attaching the specs of my pc. I'd like to connect 2-3 monitors but it only takes 1. I was told I need to upgrade the video card.
1- what is the best quality/price video card for this pc? (using it for work, no gaming, so don't need an expensive card with great specs that I won't need)
2- can u please provide a step by step on how to install the card and connect the ports from the back of the pc to the monitors?
3/12/2018
Benjamin Larson
Benjamin Larson, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, I'm Benjamin. Welcome to our site. I'm reviewing your question now and I'll reply with more details ASAP.

Hi, I understand you'd like to connect another monitor or 2 to your computer.

Thanks for attaching the specs. Looking at the model of your HP, I see it comes with this: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03019166

It lists a GeForce GT 530. That card should allow you to plug-in two monitors. If you can go to your hardware manager, you should see a listing for GT 530. Do you see that there? If you need help on this, let me now and I can guide you.

If you are using a machine for work and so you just need another monitor and want to make things easy, there is another way to add an extra monitor. There are devices that plugin to your USB ports that allow you plugin a monitor. The performance won't be as good as with a video card, but this solution is much easier for people who don't want to mess with changing a video card and you can move the usb dongle to a desktop or a laptop in the future. So for work applications it may be better.

plz see screenshot. am i in the right place?
if you can kindly provide a step by step guide to plugin the extra monitor that would be great.
if this fails, then we'll go with the USB option you mentioned, but since you said I already have the option, let's see if it works.

Yes, you were in exactly the right place! So we confirmed that is the video card you have.

If you can please go to the first link I sent you on HP's website, you'll see there is a section on that page called "Video Graphics". Under that section heading, there is a picture of your video card and you'll see there are two ports: HDMI and DVI-I.

These days monitors can use several types of ports. Some lower-end monitors only have one type of plug, while others may support several types of cables from your computer to the monitor. The phrase on this page is what you want to know:

Supports two displays at the same time* Up to 2 displays at the same time in these configurations: HDMI +DVI and HDMI +VGA (VGA through included adapter cable)

This means that you can plug one monitor into the HDMI and a second into the DVI port and both should work. HP is suggesting that you can use a VGA to DVI-I adaptor, but there are many types of adaptors.

To answer your question - you simply need to make sure you have the correct adaptor and cord to go from the back of your monitor to one of the two ports on your video card. Pretty much if it fits physically, it will work. You can find these adaptors many places online easier than in stores - Amazon and NewEgg are a couple of good places.

If you provide me with the exact model of your monitors or take a picture, I can help further if this isn't clear enough. If you want to post a link to a monitor or adaptor you want to buy if you don't have all the parts, I can confirm if you are getting the right parts. The nice thing is that most of these thing work pretty well together these days.

If I answered your question, great! In that case, I'd greatly appreciate a positive rating. If you still need help, just reply here and I'll answer.

Aha! I see why you are confused!

From the pictures it looks like you have 4 ports on your computer: The two on the side (VGA and DVI) and the two on top (one plugged in and one HDMI). Right?

Those two on the right side as you are looking at the back are built-in ports for the motherboard and they are there for if you didn't have a video card. So basically ignore them since you have a video card. I personally wish computer makers would put a cover on those because I think it's confusing for people.

Anyway, you'll want to use those two top ports since that's the ones for the video card and as you said, that VGA port won't work. So sounds like you have two monitors and one's plugged in. The one that's not plugged in will need a converter to let it plug into that empty HDMI monitor and then they should work.

Also, once you have the two monitors hooked up, go into Windows display properties and you can adjust which is the default monitor and which monitor is on the left or right. I can guide you through that if you need.

Okay, I'm having a hard time following your cables. Can I start from the beginning for cables please?

It sounds like you have two monitors right?

Are they both VGA monitors?

that plug that splits is unusual. I would guess that would not work for what you want. Do you have a regular cable with one connector on each side.
you mean cable connecting HDMI PORT from pc to HDMI port on monitor , right?
perhaps, not sure, but if not i can get one .
Yeah, I would go from hdmi on computer to monitor a, then from the Dvi to monitor B.
ok will set up and revert. thx
Yw, if that answers it, please provide me with a positive rating. If you have any questions about hooking it up, just reply here.
Removed previous cable added dvi cable, i see screen but no pc icons (screenshot) mouse moves but nothing to click.Does 2nd cable has to be hdmi or can also be vga?
That's likely because Windows sees that as your second monitor. Do you have 2 monitors or 1?
Benjamin Larson
putting 2nd now on vga
you just made my day. it worked. Thank you.