Have 5 year old 57” tv. Have 100 mbps internet. We receive…

Customer Question
Have 5 year old...

Have 5 year old 57” tv. Have 100 mbps internet. We receive 100+ on everything except our tv. We only get 27-30 through our tv. Internet provider ran checks and said to call Toshiba. Help please

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?

Toshiba, model 55L7200U. Bought Aug. 2012

Technician's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

Everything on tv works. Do not have problems with anything else. I do have a streaming device connected by HDMI cable. Have 100mbps to router but tv either can’t accept or will not allow it to stream box

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your 55L7200U? What happened right before this?

Nothing occurred before. Always been problem with speed but always thought internet was issue. Changed provider with higher mbps that should have been great, but speed checks were low. Had provider run checks and all items are good except for tv

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Computer
3/11/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Eldon Blake,
 replied 5 months ago
Eldon Blake

Hello and sorry to hear you're having trouble,

How far is the tv from the router?

Would it be possible for you to run a wired ethernet connection from the router to the tv?

Tech Support Specialist: Eldon Blake,
 replied 5 months ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Router is behind tv about 2” away
I do need this resolved
Tech Support Specialist: Eldon Blake,
 replied 5 months ago

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

Can you please plug the tv directly into the router, with an ethernet cable and let me know if that helps?

Tech Support Specialist: Eldon Blake,
 replied 5 months ago

Do you need more help with this?

Wired router to tv Changed tv setting to wired still only receiving a third of our input from tv to media streaming box
Have 100+mbps coming in, but only
Have 32mbps going out
Tech Support Specialist: Eldon Blake,
 replied 5 months ago

Okay this is the first mention of a media streaming box.

You had only discussed the tv previously. So you wired ethernet to the tv?

Are you streaming directly on the tvs own apps, or do you have an external media box, such as a roku or firetv or appletv?

Have a btvi3 media streaming box. I’ve had it hooked both wifi and Ethernet. No difference seen. Wired rotor to tv. No difference seen. Provider ran checks and we receive full amount on iPhones, iPad, etc. Yes
Tech Support Specialist: Eldon Blake,
 replied 5 months ago

The box itself is the likely issue here. Those btv boxes are well known for having hardware quality issues. If everything else is working, that really is the only logical explanation here. I know they aren't cheap, but that is mostly marketing, you are essentially paying for what amounts to a pre-hacked roku that stays functional because they keep it updated with regular continued patches to continue accessing content, with some questionable legality. I'd suggest trying to contact btv and ask if they'd replace the box for you, or consider switching to a more reputable product (though you may have some associated subscription costs to access content legitimately) like a a roku or fire tv or appletv.

My apologies for the news,

Eldon