I came back from breakfast to have my lap top talking to me…

I came back from...

I came back from breakfast to have my lap top talking to me with a page on the screen that is talking to me, a lady with a british accent saying my computer has alerted them that it infected with info that my computer is infected with a pornographic virus, blah blah goes on to say I have to call their support at (###) ###-#### and that virus must be removed by the support engineers can walk through ....don't close page or they will disable computer to avoid damage to their network, they are claiming Microsoft spywear alert, but I think its phishing or such. do I call microsoft, and are you guys Microsoft...thankst

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?

A Dell laptop and by OS what do you mean, sorry I've lost my techno mojo,what do mean, its a dell OS and Microsoft I figure

Technician's Assistant: The Laptop Technician will be able to walk you through that. What have you tried so far with your Dell? Have you installed any updates recently?

Last week I think, update wise and I haven't tried anything because of that screen saying don't close or we'll close and report you

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Yea I want to know if this spam or fraud attempt

3/11/2018
Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

This is most definitely a scam. Please do not call that number or otherwise engage these people.

Please hold down the power button on the laptop for 4-5 seconds until you hear it shut off (you won't damage it)

After a few seconds, start it back up and let me know if you're still getting the same message.

If you do, I need to know if you get it right after you log in to the computer

or

after you open a web browser.

Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
i shut off power button, shut off. waited, pushed back on and , powered back on and yes she's still talking about the alert and the pag eshows hte gew box and their phone numbers, the voice came back on right away, i had to sign in and the page was there.
i'm emailing you from a old hp pc, the "alert" in on my laptop
Jay (John)