My less than 1 year old laptop with Windows 10 already

My less than 1...

My less than 1 year old laptop with Windows 10 already installed is now stuck on the welcome screen and will not let me sign in or do anything. Having to use my work laptop to communicate with you now.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model of your laptop?

Dell with Radeon graphics, AMD FX 7th gen processor...

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Dell? Have you installed any updates recently?

I have tried to hold the shift key while hitting restart more times than I care to say - this has been an issue since Wednesday evening and nothing I have tried or what has been recommended to me by people way more tech savy than me has worked.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything - I just need my computer to work

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/11/2018
Dan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Have you tried powering it off and letting it set for a few minutes then restarting?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Multiple times - it has been off now since Friday evening...I re-started it again today and nothing has changed. It still shows a lovely mountain and lake scene and if I tap the touch pad it puts my name up and the space for my password, but when I go to type in my password ***** shows up - it's as if I was not typing at all. I have tried the shift and re-start button and that made no difference, I tried F8 and that made no difference either.

Okay let's see if you can access the recovery menu. To access the recovery environment, turn your computer on and off three times. While booting, make sure you turn off the computer when you see the Windows logo. After the third time, Windows 10 will boot into diagnostics mode. Click Advanced options when the recovery screen appears.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dan, I do not get a Windows logo - when I initially turn the computer on I get the Dell logo with a small circling icon below followed by going to the mountain/lake screen with date, time on it. If I hit the Touchpad then it gives me the name/password ***** - I am unable to get to the start menu let alone a recovery screen

Try shutting it down as soon as you see the Dell logo. Do this 3 times to see if you can access recovery.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK did that and now it says preparing automatic repair

Okay let me know what happens.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It gives me the option now of restart of advanced options - I want advanced options correct?

Advanced options, correct.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I go to Continue or Troubleshoot next?

Try continue to see if it will fix it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dan it took me to the same screen with mountains/lake and still won't do password. Should I start the shut off/turn on process again and try the troubleshoot option?

Yes please.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Now I have a screen from Dell Support Assist that says it is running a system scan to detect any potential hardware problems...I can press ESC to stop or F2 for BIOS setup - should I just let it continue running the scan - it has 40 sec left

Let it continue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well it says no issues with the hardware scan but right now the cursor won't move so I can hit 'continue' - if it isn't one thing it's another...fan is running in the background

Any keyboard response?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nope...beginning to understand why people go 'postal'
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I just shut it down the 3x again and see if it gives me the repair screen again?

It can be maddening sometimes! Yup give it a try.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It just goes back to the support assist screen running a system scan...did the same darn thing and cursor won't move and keyboard is unresponsive

Okay. Are you chatting with me from another computer?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had to bring my laptop from work so that I could do anything on a computer.

Okay good. Go to this LINK and follow the instructions. Hopefully you will be able to recover using Dell's recovery tool and get you going again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I download that link then will I be able to do what needs to be done on my problem child laptop? I am not tech savy as you ca probably tell...

You should be able to. I will be around for several hours so just post here if your run into a problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok Dan I'll be sure 2 let u know and thanks

Anytime. Good luck!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dan - it asks to install the usb-recovery on this computer (my work one) and I did that and it asks me if I want to make changes on this drive - it isn't asking me for the service tag of the problem laptop and I'm hesitant to do more...

Okay give me a minute.

Can you find the service tag for your computer please.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've got it - the download didn't ask me for it...despite what the directions on the link said

Okay

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I do the securely connect thing and give you access to my laptop do you think you can fix this? I have so much work to be done this afternoon and I feel very unproductive right now.

I wouldn't be able to connect to your laptop if you are not able to connect to it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK so am I at then end of the rope here or do you have any other suggestions? I do appreciate your help.

Do you have any data stored on your laptop that you need or isn't backed up?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Almost everything is backed up (I'm a doctoral student so I am super anal about not losing anything) ...I just noticed that the link you sent me to is to download for use with a USB drive - so maybe if I go out and buy an empty USB drive I could try it...what do you think?

Well you can format the drive you are using and try it again. You can also contact Dell and have them send you the recovery software or we can try and do a factory reset on your laptop. Your choice.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think I'll contact Dell to send me the recovery software and see if that solves the problem. Thank you for your time and patience, Dan.

You’re very welcome! It was a pleasure working with you. Please remember to rate my service for you today.

Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Dan, Computer Support Specialist