Simple tech external hard drive when powered on does not…

Simple tech external hard...

Simple tech external hard drive when powered on does not spool up to stark, just hums like a dead spot in the motor.

Technician's Assistant: Does the hard drive icon appear on your desktop?

No, it does not show up so it does not initiate start up.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried accessing the drive on a different computer?

Lights are on though

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

That's it.

3/11/2018
Ricky Expert
Ricky Expert, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Are you using a Mac or Windows computer with this hard drive?

I've Windows and it is a SimpleTech External Hard Drive 500MB, that hums when switched on and the spool up is not heard. Similar to a motor with a deadspot in the armature, and will not rotate. Consequently the the external hard drive fails to start and does not load into the computer through the USB connection and is not listed in the computer drives as a result.

Okay, with the hard drive on and plugged into the computer, please right-click the Start menu and click Disk Management. Once there, do you see the external hard drive listed?

Ricky Expert
No additional drives shown
No additional drives are showing

Thank you. Unfortunately that means the drive has crashed and will need to be replaced. If it is not listed there then there is nothing that can be done as the computer does not recognize it at all.

If the external hard drive does not spinup to initializes is there a means to correct that?\

No, unfortunately not. It needs to be replaced.

Is the memory within the hard drive retrieveable?
Can the data on the external hard drive be retrieved at a shop visit.
Can the data on the external hard drive be retrieved at a shop visit?
Fran
Fran, Computer Support Specialist

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be the one to assist you with your question regarding your today. I apologize for the extended wait time you've experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Yes a repair shop should be able to recover your Data

Thank you