I have a new iMac that I had to upgrade to High Sierra right…

I have a new iMac...
I have a new iMac that I had to upgrade to High Sierra right out of the box so that I could migrate data from the old iMac that was already on High Sierra. Anyway, this new iMac is slower than my old one and takes forever to do anything. I called Apple Care and they had me reset the SMC and the computer seemed fine for a few minutes and then really slow again.
3/12/2018
Richard, Computer Specialist

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Thank you

Hi Richard,
Unfortunately, I left late last night for vacation and will not be back to try this until Friday the 16th. I will keep you posted, mean time I checked the Activity Monitor last night and I seem to have a "SafariBookmarksSyncAgent" that is taking anywhere from 21 to 98% of the CPU and using 2 or more GB of memory????

Thanks, ***** ***** mark this to remain open so If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service for now by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Thank you

One other thing, I ran ONYX Maintenance and a Malwarebytes Scan and found no issues.

Ok, this is completely different as this is for any corruption on the drive.

Richard, Computer Specialist
FYI - I did open Disk Utility while the computer was running and it did not find any problems? Not sure if this is the same as or similar to running it from Command + R?

It is best to run it from the recovery (via Command + R)