I have an IPad that is 6 years old. My husband was trying to…

I have an IPad...

I have an IPad that is 6 years old. My husband was trying to use WiFi at the gym and accidentally disabled it. We have no home computer to do a hard reset. What are my options?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iPad?

Not very tech savvy, not sure what you mean.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your iPad? What have you tried so far?

Almost a week. Tried holding down sleep and home buttons to reset, this always works for me when it freezes up but, not this time.

3/11/2018
Jamie Macko
Jamie Macko, Computer Engineer

Thanks for your question today. Sorry you are having issues with your Ipad.

To enable WiFi on the Ipad you only need to follow a few quick steps. Please try these steps, they may look different since you have an older Ipad but should be in a similar location:

1. From your Home screen, go to Settings > Wi-Fi.
  2. Turn on Wi-Fi.
    Your device will automatically search for available Wi-Fi networks.
  3. Tap the name of the Wi-Fi network that you want to join.

After you join the network, you'll see next to the network and in the upper-left corner of your display or the upper-right corner on an iPad.

Also on some models, you can swipe up from the bottom screen and click the WiFi icon to enable it.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

If this helped please rate me 5 stars!

Thanks,

Jamie

It is telling me that Activation is Required!

This is actually a bug with the older Ipad models with a specific iOS version, which is the operating system that the Ipad uses. There have been a lot of issues but this fix seems to fix it.

There are many steps so you will have to be patient to get through it. But this is what Apple support suggests to resolve the activation issues:

1.) Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes — which should be iTunes 12.3.3.17 on your PC or MAC computer. You can find the download for itunes here:
https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

2.) Next ,Connect your iPad to your computer and backup your data locally or through iCloud.

3.) Disconnect the iPad after the backup is complete.

4.) Press down the Home and Power button of the iPad at the same time and then release just the Power button after the device restarts.

5.) You will be asked to connect your iPad to your computer using the USB cable again.

6.) An option will appear that asks if you want to restore the device and upgrade to iOS 9.3.

7.) As iOS 9.3 downloads, the error message will appear again -- but you still need to wait until iOS 9.3 is done.

8.) After iOS 9.3 is done downloading, you will need to repeat step 4. This time your iPad will ask if you want to restore it.

9.) Once the restore is finished, you will be asked to select whether you want to activate the iPad as a "new" device or if you want to restore it from your last backup. Selecting the new iPad option will format your iPad so it is like new and restoring it will retrieve your data again.

Sorry that you are having this problem, Apple is aware of it, but unable to resolve it without these steps currently. You can also take it to the Apple store, but they may charge to do these same steps for you.A

Thanks,
Jamie

Jamie Macko
Jamie Macko, Computer Engineer