Vb. Laptop stays on "Shutting Down" mode. Not that I can…

Laptop stays on "Shutting...

Laptop stays on "Shutting Down" mode

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the programmer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

3/11/2018
Russell H., Computer Systems Expert

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your computer question.

Thanks, ***** ***** do you need to know?

A computer being stuck in the Shutting-down mode, is often an indication of software corruption. Sometimes this corruption can be owing to not having good security software (and in the long run, depending upon nothing but the Windows Firewall and Windows Defender included in all Windows copies nowadays, is not likely to turn out well, in my experience.) Sometimes this corruption can be owing to not having run Windows Update lately - esp. if Windows Update no longer yields anything in the way of updates available anyway, owing to the Windows type having been discontinued by Microsoft - e.g. as in the case of Windows 2000 and Windows XP, by now.

In the meantime, you can press and hold down the Power button for about 5 or 10 seconds, and the laptop will shut off anyway. This terminates whatever corrupted or malware-produced process that refuses to shut down or terminate by other means.

If you don't have adequate security software, either a major name (McAfee, Symantec/Norton, Trend-Micro, etc.) or else for free software, www.avast.com, is a good idea to acquire and install, update fully, and run a complete or Deep Scan or Full Scan with (not just a Quick Scan, which will not uncover and cure everything.)

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Held power switch down for 10 seconds. Still in shut down mode. Tried several times.
We use Norton, have kept up with updates I believe.

What maker and model is the laptop, please?

Toshiba, Satellite, S55-A5294

Look for a reset button or reset hole, somewhat like this example (not necessarily from your model):

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/4Rj4D3jhoEaQNbbW.medium

and hold down that reset button for a few seconds with a pen-tip or similar sharpish object. That should snap the computer out of whatever the problem is.

There are 3 holes. One is earphones, one is unidentified, one is an elongated hole. None snap it out of shut down mode.

The reset hole would be circular, and possibly unmarked. Shining a flashlight into it would reveal a slightly concave (recessed) metal 'button' inside it.

Not working, hard to see. I've pressed a blunt round toothpick in the holes and no response.

OK, then... it's still stuck. Did you hold down the right/correct (Power) button, for 10 or 15 seconds continuously, firmly holding it down? the Power button - I shouldn't even mention this - is the one with a 'C-dash' logo, usually... in case there might be any mistake.

If there's no mistake, the laptop might actually be 'broken' - holding the Power switch down obligatorily powers the power circuitry Off and no mistake.

So: unplug from AC power. Remove the battery (if it is removable.) Thus cutting it off - immediately, or once the battery runs down.

This is necessary... meanwhile, if it remains On, keep it cool, if necessary closing it and turning it upside down for maximum ventilation... in case it might be in a runaway CPU loop and in danger of burning out.

And if it refuses to power On again with the power switch - well, that means it needs a trip to a shop to evaluate which part has failed. Perhaps just the power switch? but usually, something much more extensive and expensive, I'm sorry to say.

And there's a small chance it may simply snap out of the problem and not repeat it either... here's hoping!

I think we're at a dead end. Not a removable battery (not by me). Only one power switch.
Thanks for giving it a good try

Well... it's an unusually hard case. Try holding down the Power button/switch with force nearly major, for a full 60-second minute. And... turn it upside down, wait for it to run down the battery, and make an appointment with a repair shop if you wish to, *if* it doesn't turn On again after running thoroughly down, being left Off and unpowered for an hour after that to cool off and reset, then powered On again with the AC Adapter plugged into it then (and not before - it might just turn On again! e.g. if the Power button is 'stuck down' - which would keep you from using it to turn it Off, perhaps...?)

IF you're done with this case, please rate my answer - a five-star rating would best show appreciation of my efforts! Thank you, ***** ***** luck with it. (If you need to know more, e.g. good nearby shops, let me know your local zip code in reply.)

Russell H., Computer Systems Expert