The new windows 10 update freezes at 81% I've tried to

The new windows 10...

The new windows 10 update freezes at 81% I've tried to update at least 15 times and all it does is tie up my computer for hours. how to I fix this?

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

Gateway windows 10

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer?

Gateway I don't know the model

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

Since the update became available

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Like what?

3/11/2018
Domijones Manalo
Domijones Manalo, System Administrator

Hi!

Thank you for your question. I am Domijones and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Are you still able to login to your computer?

If so, kindly follow the instructions below.

Open Computer, then browse the folder path below,

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

Delete everything. Then restart your laptop/computer.

After the reboot, go to

Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update

Click Check for Updates

Windows will re-download the updates and automatically install it in the background.

Once the installation is done, it will ask you to reboot your computer or postpone it as you like.

You may also download the Windows 10 update manually. Check the link below and click Update now.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Thank you.
Domijones

Domijones Manalo
Domijones Manalo, System Administrator
did that twice already the update still freezes
how long will this take?

Have you requested for remote assistance? Can you try to download TeamViewer and we'll do a remote session.

https://download.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewer_Setup.exe

I'm not sure how long but, I'll try to clear up the corrupted files from the Windows Update folder so we can fix the issue.

Thank you.

the download froze
it's ok
team viewer is not responding
ok now what
7680

So TemViewer is not responding? There's something wrong with your computer.

Probably because of the frozen update.

Please follow the procedures below.

Method 1

-Open Command Prompt as Administrator. To do that:

a. In the Search box type: cmd (or command prompt).
b. Right click on the command prompt (result) and select Run as Administrator.

-Type the following command and press Enter

sfc /scannow

-When the SFC scan is completed, try to install the Windows Update again.

Method 2

Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth

-Be patient until DISM repairs component store

-When the operation is completed, you should be informed that the component store corruption was repaired

-Restart your computer

-Check for updates and install them

Thank you.

I'm trying to start the session but it seems that the password ***** is incorrect.

Thank you.

tzh418

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your cooperation. Let's finish the task and fix the issue once and for all.

Thanks again.

Domijones