My Dell Inspiron tried to update Windows 10. Update did not…

Customer Question
Hi, my Dell Inspiron...

Hi, my Dell Inspiron tried to update Windows 10. Update did not take and now the computer will not start or restart. I've turned it off for 1 min, tried control, alt, delete restart. Can't get past the Dell logo and failure to update error message.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried rebooting from a DVD or flash drive?

Don't have DVD on comuter and don't have a flash drive.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

That's all I have unless there is a safe mode to reboot from that I don't know about.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Computer
3/11/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Aaron B, Computer Support Specialist replied 5 months ago
Aaron B
Aaron B, Computer Support Specialist

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you. What is the exact error message you are receiving? Also, do you have a second computer with Windows 10 installed?

If so, you could create a Windows*****on that second computer, to use on the one that won't boot properly. This would require you to either create a recovery DVD or USB drive. Microsoft disabled the F8 advanced boot options menu in Windows 10.

You would have had to manually enable it in order to try to boot into safe mode now.

Thanks,

Aaron

Hi Aaron,
The exact wording is that the windows update could not be installed oin this computer. Restart computer to complete installation. When I restart I get the same message. I can't get past that note on the Dell logo screen.
Yes I did have a second computer and I'm in the process of down leading the windows media tool (slow process)
Steve

Excellent. You will need to boot off of the Recovery Media. Let me know if you need assistance with any of the options available.

The download was complete; however, I cannot boot off the recovery media because the system won't let me get to a point to redirect it. Whenever I restart it automatically boots from the Dell window and then freezes at the point where it tells me Windows update didn't work, restart computer to complete update. The update is never completed. Is there a way to boot up in a safe mode or in some way that I can move around in the system.
You cannot connect to my computer because I have no way of giving that computer any instruction. I am currently working off another laptop..

Press the power button on that laptop and press the F12 key until you get into a boot menu. Choose the the drive type you created ie. USB flash drive or DVD. You may need to enter the BIOS to change the boot order from your hard drive to your recovery media drive.

You press F2 after you power on that laptop to enter the bios. Also, you may need to disable something similar to "Secure Boot" or "UEFI".