I recently found my laptop and cannot remember my password.

Customer Question
I recently found my...

I recently found my laptop and cannot remember my password. I tried re-setting it but I have a different email now and when I go through the normal process of resetting it (https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4026971/microsoft-account-how-to-reset-your-password) it says my answers are not good enough for them to allow me to reset it

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?

Windows 8, and i'm not sure what model. It's an asus but the model info on the bottom is worn off

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Asus? Have you installed any updates recently?

I'm pretty sure it's all up to date

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

One of the questions is where the windows account was set up - I can't remember if I set it up in California (where my parents live) or in Vancouver, BC (where I live). I also can't remember if my first pet was Lucy or Katy (Katie?)

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
3/10/2018
Tech Support Specialist: GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist replied 4 months ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist

Hi there! My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this trouble. It would be my pleasure to assist you. Please give me just a moment to review your question.

Please note: You may see offers for ADDITIONAL SERVICES that are automatically generated by the website. They are completely optional. Please feel free to ignore them.

I apologize for the delay in responding. I had a customer with a followup question.

Most Asus laptops are equipped with a RECOVERY Partition that will allow you to reset the computer to factory settings. The downside to doing this is that you will lose all photos, documents, and personal info, as thehard driv ewill be erased and the laptop will be exactly the way it was when you first got it.

If you'd like to proceed with a RESET TO FACTORY, please do the following:

1. Power on your laptop. Press and release F9 repeatedly to access the Recovery Partition.

2. Press "Enter" when you see the Windows Boot Manager screen.

3. Follow the instructions on the screen. You will probably have to select a language.

4. Click next. Select one of 3 options: "Recover Windows to First Partition Only," "Recover Windows to Entire HD" or "Recover Windows to Entire HD With Two Partitions."

4. Click "Next" and follow the on-screen instructions to restore the ASUS laptop to the factory defaults.

Note: I recommend that you choose Option 1

Please give this a try and let me know the results. If you have any problems with any of the steps or need clarification, just let me know. If for any reason this doesn't work for you, please tell me so I can provide additional help. I am committed to working with you until the problem is fully resolved. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

When I try to reset to factory settings it says "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing"

Uhoh. I am terribly sorry to hear that. Our only other option is to try again to reset your Microsoft account password. Do you have a phone number attached to your account for recovery purposes?

I believe its registered with my old phone number. My new number is(###) ###-####
I guess I can message whoever has my old phone number now and see if they can help me out...

That would be a good option. Unfortunately, if you can't remember the answers to your security questions, the only other possibility would be to check the ASUS estore to see if you can purchase restore cds for your laptop. Please click the link below to visit the ASUS estore:

http://www.service.asus.com/?_ga=2.204159383.629583052.1520726907-1959567099.1520726907#!estore/cei8

IN order to purchase restore media for your laptop you will need to know the serial number and you mentioned that some of the information on the sticker is unreadable. You may find this software to be helpful in recovering that info:

http://www.belarc.com/en/products_belarc_advisor

Please keep me posted as to your progress. Thank you!