Loaned my laptop to a "friens" and he put a bios password on…

Loaned my laptop to...

Loaned my laptop to a "friens" and he put a bios password ***** it. He was living in my home at the time. I had to evict him and before he lift he put a password ***** my laptop. I called Dell and they said to call you. Can you help me?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?

Dell - Inspiron - Windows

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Inspiron? Have you installed any updates recently?

Cannot get into it. It says "This computer system, #CCBMSJ1-5958, is protected by a password ***** system. You cannot access the data on this computer without the correct password.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Just to get rid of the password.

3/10/2018
Specialist Sean S.
Specialist Sean S., Computer Support Specialist

Good morning/afternoon! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you today!

There's a couple options here, but I would need to talk to you about them first to go over the options. BIOS passwords are becoming harder and harder to remove

That would be the best
How will you connect?
I have already paid $47.00. Why another $39.00?

Dont' worry about the connection. That's not needed for this. Sure, so you can do either of the 2 options to fix this:

1) You can remove the hard drive from the laptop and get a SATA/SSD to USB converter. This turns your hard drive into a USB drive and you can transfer what you need off of it

2) You can open up the laptop and location the CMOS jumper and remove it from the motherboard. This will reset the password ***** you remove it for a few minutes before putting it back in and turning the laptop back on.

Other than getting the password ***** from your friend, those are the only options to get the data off of your hard drive AND/OR remove the password ***** that you're seeing

Let me know if that answers your questions or if you have anymore and I'll be happy to help. Also, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars below when we're finished. Thanks!

ok thanks, ***** ***** what I can do.

You're welcome. let me know if you would like any follow-up or have any other questions and I'll be happy to help!

Specialist Sean S.