We had a message that Windows needed to be updated. When it…

Customer Question
We had a message...

We had a message that Windows needed to be updated. When it went through the process, it came back that it could not be completed. We tried a second time and then came up with Error Code 0X8007001f. However, when my husband got on the computer, he got someone who he thought was from Microsoft and went through checking and then we were transferred to another company called Protectera. We paid a fee to have them check the computer. Now we are wondering if that company is a scam. They say they work with Microsoft. Can you tell me if Protectera Support of*****, Suite 200, Princeton, NJ 08540, is a scam company?

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

Windows 10 on HP computer and all things on our network

Technician's Assistant: What Microsoft model do you have?

We are a MSN Premium member and it is Microsoft 10 that will not complete latest update

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

We first had the message last week and tried to update and it would not complete. We did a second try and would still not complete, but came up with error code 0x8007001f. Today it came up with a page saying we were infected with viruses over our speaker which would not stop. It told us to call(###) ###-####which we did and they could not fix problem and they referred us to Protectera of Princeton, NJ.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

We are wondering if this company is a scam or if it does work with Microsoft as they say. We were charged a fee for them to delete viruses.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
3/10/2018
Tech Support Specialist: David L, Systems Engineer replied 4 months ago
David L
David L, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

According to the BBB Protectera is reported to be a scam. I would recommend not working with them or letting them access your computer remotely. I would also recommend that you immediately run a full anti-virus scan on your computer to remove any malware they may have installed on your computer. Here is a link to the BBB report about Protectera:

click here

Please let me know if you have questions.