I got a message that i should call tech support atbecause i…

Customer Question
I got a message...

I got a message that i should call tech support at(###) ###-####because i may have a virus. is this legit?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?

Its a HP compac

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

It just started, I did nothing. I just closed the page.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Tech Support Specialist: ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast replied 4 months ago
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you with this!

These phone calls are NOT legitimate. This is a scam that is going around right now where someone will call you and tell you that you have some kind of problem with your computer and they will pitch you on some kind of support service to fix the problems. The whole thing just a ploy to get money from you.

Sometimes these companies will claim to be Microsoft or Apple or some other well-known company. This is always a lie. These companies do not contact customers directly to offer support.

Furthermore, no one is monitoring your computer for problems. The only way someone could do that would be if you installed specialized software on the machine and explicitly granted them permission to do so.

Many people are receiving these calls right now, so you are not the only one. If you receive calls like this in the future, simply ignore them.

If you have any other questions on this, just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

NOTE: If you have no further questions, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS or better so that I receive credit for assisting you. Just click to rate.

I was afraid of that. Thank you.

No problem, happy to help!

Please just use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer 3 STARS or better to close out our chat session.