Wondering the best way to secure my computer while I'm away.

Wondering the best way...

Wondering the best way to secure my computer while I'm away

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?

HP @ 8 yrs old - Windows 7 Pro

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

Haven't tried anything. I just want to protect while I have a house sitter

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

No - just want to know easiest way to "lock" my computer

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you. Have you set a password ***** logging into the computer?

No - I'm wondering if it is as easy as that or do I need something else? Can a password ***** "undone" when I don't need it?
There isn't anything wrong. I just have never set up a password ***** wonder if I should - is there a downside to doing that?

Yes the password ***** ***** and can be undone. Just follow these steps

1. From the Start menu, select Control Panel. ...
  2. Under "User Accounts", click Change your Windows password. ...
  3. Under "Make changes to your user account", click Set a password.
  4. In the "New password" and "Confirm new password" fields, enter the password.

When you want to remove the password ***** the steps but leave the new password *****

If you don't want to do this some other easy things are, if this is a laptop remove the power adapter and battery and hide them someplace. If it is a desktop remove the power cable and hide it someplace else in the house, then they couldn't even turn the computer on.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating for providing you a quick answer! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Chris L., Support Specialist
thanks chris