I have an old HP Pavillion Dv40000 that I would like to put…

Customer Question
I have an old...

I have an old HP Pavillion Dv40000 that I would like to put back to factory settings so I can give it to someone else.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Pavilion?

Windows XP

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Pavilion? Have you installed any updates recently?

It just updated

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

No, I have everything off or backed up that I want. I just want to clear it so she has something to start new on

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
3/9/2018
Tech Support Specialist: technicalcat, Consultant replied 4 months ago
technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this service. My name is ***** ***** I will help you now.

Please power off the laptop, remove battery, and plug in ac adapter only.

Then, power on laptop, and about a second after pressing power button , start tapping F11 key. Let me know if you are able to get into recovery manager factory reset. Note: If the hard drive was ever replaced on this unit, this may not work.

NOTE: To reply to me, please type your message in the box below and click the button to send.

Nothing happened. It just started normally. I bought it used online years ago. Just recently bought new battery and new AC cable. I don't know if this is refurbished or not. Kinda thinking it is.
I could not get into recovery manager. Any other way to get there?
Are you indicating that unless i spend money, you won't help me?
Cancel my trial. This is bull****. No comment after I refuse to spend more money. Thanks for nothing.

Unless you have the old HP recovery discs , it will be difficult to impossible for a complete recovery of the computer. The older XP machines worked this way.

I would think a better approach would be to manually clean up the computer of any personal information. I sent an offer for phone so I could list out the steps and discuss with you how to do that. If you want , we can also try that via Q&A chat. Keep in mind that responses are not instant. Real technical here (not robot). thanks.

No thanks. You should have offered text chat first. You lost your credibility with me by lesson n me to spend more money to get an answer. Have a good day.

Sorry you feel that way, but I'm not sure how answering your question, and then offering additional services to help you manually clean the computer is a problem.