Howdy,. I have an old PC with Windows XP. When I tried to…

Customer Question
Howdy, my name is*****...

Howdy, my name is***** have an old PC with Windows XP. When I tried to turn it on the screen was blank, except a pop up saying that Windows no longer works on XP and I would have to pay for an upgrade to Windows10. It will cost me $200 for 2years or $300 forever. The said he was a supervisor at Microsoft. The place was called "El Supremo". What's going on?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last charge your Pop?

What's a Pop?

Technician's Assistant: The Smartphone Technician will be able to walk you through that. Have you tried a force reboot (pressing and holding the Power and Volume Down buttons)?

This isn't a smartphone. It's my old PC.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?

It's not a smartphone that I'm having trouble with.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Computer
3/8/2018
Tech Support Specialist: remoteITpro, Consultant replied 5 months ago
remoteITpro
remoteITpro, Consultant

Hello, My name is JimH. I apologize for the delay in getting to your request. FYI: I am on EST time zone. Just a little about myself, I was first a JustAnswer (JA) customer, I had a question about my 2000 KIA Sephia automobile. I’d liked the service so much, I auditioned to be a computer support expert for JA. I generally focus on cases involving Operating System or data recovery issues.

Mr. Winslow - the Microsoft call - was a scam. I hope you did not allow them access or anything to your computer, they called you - correct?

Depending on your make and model of your computer - will determine whether or not you should upgrade to Windows 10. If it is more than 3 years old, probably best to just replace it - or use it as is.

Windows XP - will show a popup saying it is no longer supported. And, that is true. Microsoft is no longer providing updates or support for Windows XP. However, other than it being a security risk - it should work fine. And, with proper Antivirus and just being careful, you should be able to use it.

unfortunately when I called them and they answered with the Microsoft office, I did let them into my PC. So am I screwed? I bought it in 2006, I think. I can't get past the pop up. The, I'm not sure what to call it. The strip on the bottom of the screen that has the Start thing that turns the computer off, to different functions. Do you know what I mean?
I thought I already have a free 30 day trail?

Unfortunately, that pop-up - if it is just the plain XP popup, is annoying. Let me see if I can find a way to disable it. Just a min. Not sure what you mean by a 30 day trial? Of Windows 10 - no such thing.

https://4sysops.com/archives/prevent-the-windows-xp-end-of-support-notification/​ Is a link that talks about how to do it. If you would like, I can offer - or you can request a Premium (extra cost) Remote Support Session, from that PC if you can get that far. Are you on that PC now with Just Answer(JA) or using another computer for JA?

If you have a mobile phone and camera, take a picture of the screen, and paste it in here if you can.

It says that I can't load the picture because of low memory.
I don't have access to my bank account, until I get this taken care of.

Ouch! So sorry.

Is anyone there?

My family is just now calling me to dinner. I will opt-out and let another tech help.

Whatever trips your trigger.
Tech Support Specialist: Elgin Vega, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 5 months ago
Elgin Vega
Elgin Vega, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is***** will try my best to help you with this request.

Windows XP is an old system and its out of support, and if the system is too old it may not have a good performance.

Can you tell me the brand and model of the system?