I believe I may have been Hacked. It is a Pavilion all in…

I believe I may...

I believe I may have been Hacked

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?

It is a Pavilion all in one

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Pavilion?

Ok I am not great with computers what is (OS)

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Pavilion? Have you installed any updates recently?

I got a message from Microsoft saying i was hacked and i need to change my IP address and Buy A firewall protection Yess I keep up with all updates

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I let them in to tell me what was wrong I contacted Microsoft and they said it was a scam I have Malware Bytes Premium I just want to make sure they do not get in my computer and have them removed if they are.

3/8/2018
Jamie Macko
Jamie Macko, Computer Engineer

My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist.
I am sorry to hear about the scam, this is a popular scam at the moment.
What I would suggest first is to do a full reboot on the computer. You can shut it down, and give it 30 seconds, then boot it backup.

Once you log in, open malwarebytes and run a Full Scan. This will check for any left over malware.

The next thing you will want it to run some more virus scans just to be safe.
Two good free ones are:
Emsisoft: https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/eek/

and
Microsoft Safety Scanner: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/products/scanner

These are both free and easy to use. Simply download them, and run them. Then allow them to check for updates, and run full scans. They may find things called (PUP) or (PUMs) those are harmless and can be removed without issue, but are nothing to be concerned about. You mostly are looking to remove any Trojan or malware that may have gotten into the PC.

Those two plus malwarebytes should give the system a good cleaning. Also after all of these scans, I would do another reboot of the PC to allow them to finish their cleanups.

Best of luck, and if you need any more assistance with this, please let me know.

If this helped you today, please rate me 5 stars!

Thanks,
Jamie

Jamie Macko
Jamie Macko, Computer Engineer