I believe my Mac has been infected with a virus. I am no…

I believe my Mac...

I believe my Mac has been infected with a virus. I am no longer able to access most of my files. Here are some of the messages I get:

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your password ***** Apple ID?

I think my Mac has a virus. When trying to access my files, most of the time I get a message like this: "Word cannot open the document; user does not have access privileges." Then it states the file name and a box that says "OK"

Technician's Assistant: Did you try resetting through Apple's online account reset tool?

I don't know what that is.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

The messages are mostly the same, and all say either Word or Microsoft word.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/8/2018
Michael T

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be the one to assist you with your question regarding your issue.

Please download Malwarebytes for mac HERE and do a full system scan

Let me know the results please

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Mike,
My husband Dan who started this inquiry has asked me to take over dealing with this issue. He thinks that he may have allowed remote access to his computer and is concerned about the security of his data. Can you tell me whether anyone at JustAnswer has remote access to this computer at this time? Thanks. - Judith

Nobody can ever enter your computer unless you allow it OR it is hacked into with a malicious attack.

Remote tech support by the techs is in form of a download which must be opened and a code put in.

Remote connections are not automatic

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Very good. Thanks so much. We don't feel comfortable giving anyone access to our computer. I ran Malwarebytes on this computer a couple of days ago - the program reported a few problems that it cleaned up, but didn't fix the problem of denied access.

Are you running an antivirus program on your computer other than malwarebytes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Don't think so.

What you are seeing means the files are damaged....

• Open your Word document in Draft mode: At times, opening the damaged Word document in the proposed mode without updating the links can open it.
  • Open a new Word document and try to insert the damaged document as a file in it: Open a new Word document and try to insert your damaged document as a file in this new doc. This, many times, solves your problem
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll try these, but is it possible that Microsoft Word is corrupted? How about deleting and reinstalling Word?

It is possible but only if it is doing this to ALL your documents.. Is that the case?

If so yes a reinstall will definitely solve the problem if it is

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
denial of access seems to be the case for all Word docs that Dan has tried to open so far. However, I did try a version of your suggestion and managed to open docs in Pages!

very good... It is very unlikely that you have the denial of access virus on a mac.

I would surely try to reinstall word to solve this

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Whoops. My husband says that Word opens some docs and not others. Still worth reinstalling Word? Could deleting/reinstalling do any damage to existing files?

Ok that changes the game, it could be just a permissions issue

Please watch this video as it will make it easier for you HERE

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had already checked permissions on these docs - although they allowed complete read/write access, access was still denied.

I dont know where these documents came from but some files cannot be changed by anyone other than the owner, being the creator... If YOU are the creator and its still denying you then its most likely a corrupt file.

If someone else created it, you can get them to change permissions and then resend to you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All of these files were created by Dan so there's no issue about whether he's the owner.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
By the way, this problem came up suddenly about 2 - 3 weeks ago. Before that, he had access to all of his files.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think reinstalling Word will remedy all corrupt files?

Its is very hard for me to say but yes it has worked in the past to fix this issue

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We have an annually renewed subscription to Microsoft Word. Do you happen to know whether it will be simple to delete and reinstall?

You most likely have a subscription to microsoft 365 in which case you can login to your account online and simply install again. TO delete you can just drag word to trash BUT confirm you can login to microsoft first before you do that

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Very good. Thanks. Guess that's what we'll need to do. Appreciate your help with this.

Your very welcome and I hope I have earned a 5 star rating from you today

If you need any more help just let me know

Michael T
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
5 stars, and again, appreciate your help and expertise

Thanks so much, please use the stars on the page!

Michael T
Michael T
Michael T