I would like to clone my present HDD to an external drive (I…

I would like to...

I would like to clone my present HDD to an external drive (I used to use the old DOS diskcopy command). What is the best way to do this now.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?

HP Spectre

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Spectre?

W10

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Spectre? Have you installed any updates recently?

All the ones that came up automatically

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Not really other than my favorite wine but I am thinking there is no interest in that datum.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Martin, Network Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

You can clone the hard drive with a program called Acronis.

You can obtain it here:

https://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup/

Is this another paid software solution?

Acronis is a paid software, yes

no ... I do not want and remote connection ...

If data is important to you, I'd always suggest a paid and well known one since the free ones can disappear in time as well as their compatibility with newer operating systems

You may ignore the remote popup, it comes up automatically and is completely optional

basically I pay you to tell me to pay someone else! I am not liking this one bit!

Your question was how to clone your present HDD to an external drive - there is software for cloning a drive

Now if all you want to do is copy your personal files, you can do so from within Windows itself

You can copy your personal files from the command prompt like you mentioned you did earlier with DOS

I know how to copy ... a have a Ph.D. in the sciences! I would just like a non-sleazy answer to my queries.My question is REALLY, why am I paying to talk to an entity that is sending me somewhere else ot pay again so that they can help?????
Why don't we terminate this pointless encounter!

You're paying me for my knowledge on the topic and to set you on the right track avoiding mistakes so you don't lose data - since your question was on how to clone your hard drive you need third party software. If all you want to do is copy your personal files you can do it with one command on command prompt

WOW! I thought my English was impeccable but clearly NOT!
Good-day and have fun with your evasive and circular responses.
David L
David L, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

I recommend Clonezilla which is a free program that can clone a hard drive that is installed on a system, or connected as an external drive, or clone over the network. Please click the link below to review:

click here

I recommend you download the Clonezilla ISO, burn it to the CD, then boot a system you wish to clone to view its features.

Note that the Clonezilla interface is not well refined however the software is highly capable and I use it as my primary cloning software for both professional/commercial applications and personal as well.

Please let me know if you have questions after reviewing Clonezilla.

Thank you David ... I had expected no response after the last "expert" showed me more of his/her ego than any parsing of my question and intent. The purpose of a service is to serve ... not to aggrandize people who think small and don't answer the questions asked.I will proceed with your suggestion and I would respectfully ***** ***** you lose the last person because they can't get over themselves!

I can see that our philosophies on customer service are much the same :)

And once you have had a chance to work with Clonezilla and questions arise, just post them here and I will address each one.

David L
David L, Systems Engineer