I am getting a voice message (stating it is from Windows…

I am getting a...

I am getting a voice message (stating it is from Windows Tech Support) telling me my computer should not be shut down or used till I call 1-***-***-****). Is this legitimate? I have been lots of calls from different numbers asking me to call.

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

My Dell laptop computer

Technician's Assistant: What's the model and version of Windows of your Dell?

It is Windows 10 - I don't know the Model. Where would I find that?

Technician's Assistant: The Laptop Technician will be able to walk you through that. What have you tried so far with your Dell? Have you installed any updates recently?

No updates recently. I finally was able to cancel the message and use my computer ok - the full red screen and voice message stopped.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

No - guess not

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Martin, Network Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

This most certainly does not look legitimate.

One moment whilst I look into the number you provided.

Yes, it does look like a scam caller.

I would ignore it completely and anyone else claiming you should do anything at all with your computer.

Microsoft nor any other reputable company will ever call you to tell you what to do with your computer.

If you have any problems or would like any additional assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
.

And if you could take a moment to rate my service by selecting one of the 5 stars at the top it would be greatly appreciated.

Remember you can always come back to this page if you need more help with this issue (without extra charge).

Martin, Network Engineer