I have an alexa echo connected and working upstairs, and I…

Customer Question
I have an alexa echo...
I have an alexa echo connected and working upstairs, and I just got a new second one to use downstairs. I just received it and want to know the correct steps for connecting the 2nd one. Also: will both my echoes be in sync? Eg.: if I ask Alexa to play classical music up stairs, does it also start playing downstairs?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Samuel NetEngineer, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 4 months ago
Samuel NetEngineer
Samuel NetEngineer, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am one of the experts that is going to help you today. Please give me a moment to look over your question so I don't miss anything.

They will not both play music at the same time, but you can stop it in one room and start it back up in another.

Are you ready to set up the Echo now?

no thanks

Open the Alexa app. Tap the hamburger icon () and select Settings.

At the Settings screen, tap on the button to Set Up a New Device.

At the "Choose a device to set up" window, tap on the type of Alexa device you wish to set up. We'll select an Echo Dot in this case, though the process is the same for other Alexa devices.

At the next screen, choose your language or make sure your language is selected. Tap Continue.

At the next screen, tap on the button to Connect to Wi-Fi.

Now, plug in your new Alexa device. A device such as an Echo or Echo Dot will display the familiar blue/green light ring at the top. Wait for your Echo's light ring to change to orange, which indicates that it's in setup mode. If you don't see the orange light ring, hold down the Action button on your device for five seconds until the ring turns orange. Then tap Continue.

Now segue to your mobile device's Wi-Fi settings screen. Among the available networks, you should see an entry for Amazon-XXX (the XXX standing for any combination of characters). Tap on that entry.

The entry should move to the list of connected networks.

Now return to your Alexa app. The screen should tell you you're now connected to your new Alexa device. Tap Continue.

Now you need to connect your Alexa device to your home network. At the screen to "Select your Wi-Fi network," tap on the name of your local Wi-Fi network.

The next screen tells you that the app is preparing your Alexa device.

You should then hear Alexa proclaim that your Echo device is ready. And the Alexa screen should tell you that the setup is complete. Tap on Continue.

Depending on the device you're setting up, you may see another screen asking how you want to use the device. For example, when setting up an Echo Dot, the app asks whether you want to use it via Bluetooth, an Audio Cable, or No speakers. Tap on the option you wish to use.

Your device is now ready to go.

If you want to setup the Alexa devices for multi-room playback, we can do that as well?

Please Rate My Service if my answer was sufficient!
If you have any other questions please let me know, as I always strive for excellent service!!
Thank you!