I need to change file association from internet explorer to…

I need to change...

I need to change file association from internet explorer to the default type which are SC4LOT and SC4BAT type

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update Internet Explorer?

Never that I know of, have to refresh the web page all the time

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Internet Explorer?

Don't know how tried to open the file in the view downloads - internet explorer and all it does is flash and not open the file tried to save the file and I goes to MY PC/Downloads and it is the same file I couldn't open

Technician's Assistant: The Software Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

Doe's it cost anything to talk to a Tech?

3/8/2018
Sergil Cave
Sergil Cave, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I have been assigned to your case. To change the default type from Internet Explorer, you have to right click on the file in question and choose the Open With... option. Once you choose that then it should give you the option to Choose another App or Program. So I am telling you the right thing, what version of Windows do you have? Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, you can find out the version by performing the following steps:

1. Hold down the Windows Key + R on your keyboard (Windows Key is a key with the Windows Logo on it)

2. Type in the following with the run window comes up ---> winver

Windows 10 version 1709 (build 16299.248)

Okay great. Right click on the files in question and choose Open With...

sorry I don't have the money for that right now
I don't really trust anyone to remote connect to my computer

That is fine we dont need to remote connect into your computer...that is just the system automatically asking you to remote in you can go ahead and reject the offer.

Were you able to find the file in question, right click on it and choose Open With...?

how do I reject the offer?

There should be an option, what is it telling you?

I have tried to change the open with option and there isn't an app I want to try. did it once before and had a nightmare getting the assoc. set back to default.

A better question to ask you would be what application do you want these files to be associated with? I did some research and they seem to be associated with the Sim City game but that could be wrong.

it wants me to update my payment info. don't want to do that I'll pay the $5 no problem but didn't want the co to be able to take money from my credit card

It says payment failure in the status.

the file's are from the SC 4 game there are LOT and BAT file that work in MOD's. Yes that is the error message I see Payment error
if the LOT and BAT file's aren't readable the Mod will show missing items for the MOD's they go with
is there any way to remove the file assoc of Internet Explorer and set for me to choose a file assoc.
that is how the other type of file's a MOD uses is set to choose an app.

Yes there is, you have to right click on each of those particular files and choose Open With > . After you choose Open With > you will click on "Choose Another App", it will ask you "How do you want to Open This File?" and you will choose More Apps. From there you will scroll all the way down where you will see "Look for Another App on this PC", click on that and then it will bring you to your Windows Explorer Window and into the Program Files folder where you can look for the SC 4 folder and the executable for it.

ok going to try i brb

Okay

there isn't a program folder in the windows explorer window

What folder do you see?

there are several but in the windows there are defender, mail, media player, multimedia platform, nt, photo viewer, portable devices, security, apps, powershell acouple of these are hidden folder and I can't access them

Okay, do you see something on the left hand side of the window called Local Disk C: ?

It should be towards the bottom on the left hand side of that windows explorer window.

no when I choose select look for another app on this app it opens a IE open with window with a file list and there is no C drive listed anywhere in that window. Do I need to ope the C drive

Yes you will need to open the C Drive and once you open that up, you will look for a folder called Program Files or something similar.

I know where that is and I have it opened now

Do you see a folder called Sim City or Maxis?

it is in the program folder (x86) and I have it opened it was in the folder GOG> games> SC4 Deluxe
I have the SC 4 folder opened

Okay great! Do you see any executables or .exe file's in that folder?

Or do you see something that says SimCity4.exe or something similar or SC4TOOL?

the only files i found was in the app folder one is SC4.exe.backup and one file if selected will start the game but it is listed as (SC 4) icon> SimCity 4

Okay so you are in the SC4 Deluxe folder and dont see any .exe files? It looks like the executable file is the .backup file. Are you able to right click on that file, choose rename and remove the .backup extension from it?

ok I saved the the SinCity 4 .exe.backup file to my desktop renamed the file it now says SimCity 4.exe i also got a message that says the file name the file might become unstable Are you sure you want to change it? haven't changed it yet
should have been SimCity 4 not Sin. n is to close to the m lol

lol yeah it would have been a lot easier to find...Okay since you got the warning, I wouldnt change it just yet. Here is what you can do:

1. Where it says Type here to search on the bottom of your screen near the windows logo--> type in the following --> Sim City and then press enter.

2. Right click on the results that you get and click on Open File Location

This should show you where the Sim City executable is located.

i typed Sim City in the search and the results I got was no items match your search. i got the game from a web site called GOG and did a digital download of the game from there web site.
the file i renamed still show up in the app folder

Ah okay, what if you type GOG instead of Sim City in the search?

i get this result from the search, goggame-1207664593.dll, c:\program files\GOG Galaxy\Games\SimCity...... type Application Extension

Okay see if you can follow the Open With... steps that I provided and see if you can find an executable in that folder.

I am going to have to sign off for tonight but I will be available tomorrow morning. Let me know how that goes and we can continue this then. If you cant wait until then, I can just opt out and let another engineer take over this case.

ok, I checked and it shows all the open with as when I tried to change the IE file and looked in the Open with window nothin new

You have to follow these instructions to get past that:

Within the Program Files folder look for the GOG Galaxy folder

If you still have issues, please let me know and I continue helping you tomorrow morning.

Sergil Cave
Sergil Cave, Computer Hardware Engineer
i can find GOG Galaxy but its in the program file (x86) folder
ok will do that. Thank you for the help tonight it is much appricated.
Good night Sergil

Good Morning/Afternoon over there. Thank you for the rating. How did it go last night as far as finding that GOG Galaxy folder?