I want to erase everything from an older computer so I can…

I want to erase...

I want to erase everything from an older computer so I can get rid if it. It is a Hp Pavilion A6400F desktop PC with Windows Vista Home Premium. I usually just open the box and remove the hard drive but I can't open this one because it has funny little rivets instead of screws. Thank you, Betsy

Technician's Assistant: Does the hard drive icon appear on your desktop?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried accessing the drive on a different computer?

No,

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I have a newer PC that I can work from.

3/7/2018
Cris
Cris, Support Specialist

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com I am Cris and will be glad to assist you. Let's get started!

Are you accessing this site from the PC you want to erase everything from?

no
no, the computer is no longer connected to the internet

Great, please try the follow to do a reset of your PC. It will bring your PC back to factory settings as if you just took it out the box.

Click Start, type recovery in the search field, and select HP Recovery Manager to run recovery from the D drive. Select Factory Reset and the wizard will go through the process.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Please take a moment to rate my service and submit at the top so I am credited for assisting you.

that did not work, the wizard did not show up

Did you have HP Recovery Manager?

No, I don't

OK, please try the following.

Turn off the PC. Turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F11 key repeatedly anywhere from 15-20 times. To bring up Recovery Manager.

Let me know if you are able to bring it up.

ok, I got the recovery manager. It has about 7 choices to select

Great, you want to select Recovery and do a Factory Reset.

one choice is recover to original factory condition. should I click on that one?

Exactly. That will wipe, erase the drive and reinstall Windows. You can then give away the PC with none of your data. It will take some time to complete you will not need to sit around the PC as no user intervention is needed.

Let me know if any further questions. Please take a moment to rate my service and submit so I am credited for assisting you. Thanks, Cris.

I don't have recovery discs. It is still asking for them.

That is strange it should not need them. Was there any other choice?

but not what we want. I con't care if the computer is usable. I just want to remove all my personal information. Can I just run something that will wipe out the hard drive?

Another thing you can do is create a new profile on the PC and delete yours. That will remove all your personal data.

how do I create a new profile?

Boot the PC back up normally.

Click on Start>Control Panel.

Click on User Accounts and Family Safety.

Click on Add or Remove User account.

Click on Create Account.

Create account you can call it Owner. Make sure it is Admin account.

Once you have create the account. Log off your profile.

Now you will have a second profile. Sign into the new profile so it creates.

Then go back into Add or Remove accounts in Control Panel.

Now Remove your old account. That will remove the profile and all of your data.

Let me know how you make out.

I will try this. Will you still be there until I finish?

Yes, I am online. Message me the outcome or if you have any further questions.

I don't have "add or remove user account" but I have "turn user acct. control off". Should I try that?

Could I offer you remote support so I can assist you with this?

I can lower the cost of the premium services.

That computer is no longer connected to the internet. I usually remove the hard drive and destroy it, but this HP computer is put together with tiny revits that I can't open.

When you open control panel do you see User Account and Family Safety top right?

Cris
Cris, Support Specialist
It worked. My personal info is now gone. Thank you so much.

Excellent! So glad I was able to help you resolve your issue!