I need help in connecting a Toshiba VCR/DVD player, Model…

I need help in...

I need help in connecting a Toshiba VCR/DVD player, Model SD-V392SUA, to a Samsung TV model UN50KU630DF. I get the DVD to play but, not the VCR (which is rewinding and going forward).

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your SD-V392SUA?

Don't know operating system. The TV is a Samsung Smart TV.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your SD-V392SUA? Have you installed any updates recently?

No updates. I have just connected cables from Component Video and Audio to the TV.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

No, thank you.

3/7/2018
Eldon Blake

Hello and sorry to hear you're having trouble,

can you tell me specifically how everything is connected currently? Is it the red/green/blue+red/white?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Eldon. From DVD/VCR component out: yellow/"Y' jack, white/Pb jack, red/Pr jack, under "Component". Under "OUT" white/audio L jack, red/audio R jack.Into Samsung TV "component in" jacks as follows: all 5 cables (from DVD/VCR) reduced to 2 cables with Blue into Pb jack and yellow into Pr jack.

Thank you for confirming,

Your cords sound mixed up though, you should have yellow to green Y, blue to Pb, red to PR (the red/white audio are separate). However even that isn't quite right, as this would only work for dvd.

To get vhs, you need to use the composite ones, from the video out (red, white,yellow) on the right side of the back of the toshiba.

Your tv only has 1 combined component/composite input, so you can't do both,

you'll have to use the composite only, so yellow to y/green, red/white to red/white R/L , then set the tv to the Composite (AV) input mode

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Eldon, Questions. You say my TV has only 1 combined component/composite input, so you can't do both. Do you mean I can't have DVD and VCR connections operating at the same time? Your statement "To get VHS, you need..." what comes out from video out on right side back of Toshiba? Please explain the connections, from and to, referred to in your last sentence.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Maybe the best way to do this is to describe the cable connection by single or composite from the Toshiba output jacks to the TV input jacks, in correct colors also. If possible, a simple schematic, cables out/cables in, would work if you could transmit a copy to me by email.

The toshiba itself is the limitation really,

the component pots on the player are only for dvd,

to get both vhs and dvd you must use composite.

Because your tv only allows either 1 component or 1 composite connection (not both at the same time) you have to pick one or the other, so if you want both dvd and vhs, then you have to use the red/white/yellow video out from the toshiba to the tv.

It is the vertical row of ports, when facing the back of the player to the right size, the 2nd row in, labeled Video Out. Connect a set of color matching cables, yellow on the player to green/Y on the tv, red to red/R, white to white/L.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your responses. If I understand you correctly, "so if you want both dvd and vhs, then you have to use the red/white/yellow video out from Toshiba to the TV", I can do both DVD and vhs. I will use a set of color matching cables from 2nd row Toshiba Video Out to corresponding color cables as you indicated. Will this cable set replace or be in addition to the set currently coming out of the "Component" vertical row on Toshiba.

Yes, that is correct.

This will replace the component cables.

Eldon Blake
Eldon Blake
Eldon Blake
Eldon Blake