Before I am able to e-file my federal return it asks for a…

Before I am able...

Before I am able to e-file my federal return it asks for a "verification" code to be found on my W-2. There is no verification code on my W-2's. Your product won't let me e-file unless I put one in. I leave the box blank as suggested and it won't accept the blank. Help.

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

This is for turbotax 2018 filing.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?

I am using a HP laptop; 2 years old. Tell me where to find the model

Technician's Assistant: The Laptop Technician will be able to walk you through that. What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your HP?

Where do I find that information?

Technician's Assistant: The Laptop Technician will be able to walk you through that. What have you tried so far with your HP? Have you installed any updates recently?

No recent installs

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I think it is a software problem with turbo tax not recognizing a blank verification code

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is anyone there?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is an HP Envy
3/7/2018
Russell H., Computer Systems Expert

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your computer tax preparation question.

What is the wording, exactly, please, of the message that says a verification code is required?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The program says before you e-file you need a little more information I didn't need earlier. Then I go back to the turbo tax form and the Verification field is pink i.e. requires a verification code before I can file. My IRS instructions say Taxpayers without a verification code on their forms W-2 may leave the verification code box blank in their software product.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Russell. Log on to my computer and fix it or tell me how to do it.

Yes, theoretically that ought to work. Since it doesn't - I honestly don't know what to do about it. I have Opted Out, with my apologies, hoping that another Expert, with the answer to this problem, will take up the case (at no extra charge to you for a second Expert working on it.) Thank you for your patience, meanwhile.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are you asking now? How about a software expert? Otherwise I'll have to print and mail this at an additional cost.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Give me the answer in email.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was able to get it to work. I keyed in 16 zeroes i.e. 0000000000000000 and it took it. Apparently it needed 16 somethings.
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi

Do you still need some help here?

Thanks

Kris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'd still like to know what the problem with Turbo Tax is in requiring that field to be filled and not providing an explanation to the issue.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
bye

Can you tell me the name of the field please?

Robert M., Consultant

that is a new test thing by the IRS

SOME companies are putting verification codes on their W2's

this allows the irs to verify whether the W2 that you are putting in matches the one that the company supplied them.

It is NOT operational this year. It is just being tested. so it is not actually being checked. If your W2 did not have a verification code you should not have had to enter one. But if for some reason your company had indicated to the irs that they did put one on then you would have to enter it BUT since the system is not functional this year, they will accept any code at all.

I hope that made sense to you. and that you will appreciate it enough to give me a 5 star rating.

thank you.

Robert M., Consultant

You can call me at the number in the secure section if you would like to go over it in more depth

Robert M., Consultant