I have a 2013 Satellite C-55A and the Toshiba DVD video

I have a 2013...

I have a 2013 Satellite C-55A and the Toshiba DVD video player has suddenly quit functioning. I reinstalled the driver and that didn't solve the problem. ***** *****

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Satellite?

Windows 8.1

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Satellite? Have you installed any updates recently?

Yes, but the problem manifested itself before then.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

3/7/2018
Micky
Micky, Lead Systems Engineer

Can you please deeply describe your issue with the DVD video player?

Is it a problem with the DVD tray or just when reading a DVD video?

Are, for example, normal cd read correctly?

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tried a music CD and it worked just fine
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This had better be good!

I apologize but I cannot provide remote assistance since I am on Linux, let me know if you prefer to continue with another expert and I'll opt out.

Yes, it looks good to me :)

Can you try to insert a DVD video? Are you able to use Explorer to browse the files on the DVD?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've inserted another DVD - nothing but a video black screen with no tool or control bars.

It might be just an issue with the software player.

What is the player you are running? You should find it in the title bar on the top.

Did you try another player like VLC?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Haven't I already said that it's a Toshiba dvd player? I don' have another DVD player.

I am not speaking to use another dvd player :)

The Toshiba dvd player is attached to the notebook, right?

So you need a software to read the DVD.

I am speaking to use another software to read the DVD:

VLC is free for download and install: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, VLC is installed.

Great! Leave the DVD inside the player.

Open VLC player, from menu "File," select "Open Disc."

The "Open" dialog box will open. Click on the "Disc" tab.

Select your DVD and click OK.

It should now play your DVD.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the DVD did play, but without the usual control bar.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would think that Toshiba should provide replacement software for it's original installation.

I agree with you.

Unfortunately on their website, for your Satellite, they do not offer software download but only drivers:

http://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/toshiba/laptops-desktops/satellite-c55-a/36404

If you will be able to provide the dvd software player name we might try to fix it too.

Otherwise I would suggest you to continue using VLC player.

The controls on VLC are obviously different since the software is not the same.

Micky
Micky, Lead Systems Engineer
Micky
Micky
Micky, Lead Systems Engineer