How do I know which computer to buy, Are refurbished

computers just as good as...
How do I know which computer to buy, Are refurbished computers just as good as new?
3/7/2018
Micky
Micky, Lead Systems Engineer

your questions is really open-ended.

Same as asking: 'Are used cars good as new'? It depends on the users, on the seller, and on the check that you do on it.

Can you please specify if you want a workstation or a notebook? What will you do on it? Professional use or gaming?

And most important, which is your budget? Cheaper possible or the top ultra used computer?

Best Regards

im on a budget for sure. Single mom of two pre teens. Our needs are for checking emails, surfing the web for shopping or info for school assignments as well as watching youtube videos, playing minecraft and my daughter is into taking pictures so she will probably need apps or programs for that. I would prefer a desk top computer. Something econimical but without skimping on too many features
Something under $400

Is much easier to get a good Desktop than a notebook for sure.

I would suggest to:

- buy from a shop with some months warranty

- do not buy from gamers (processor might have used very harder and overclocked)

- avoid from heavy smokers - fan is used to fail due to the dirty on it, smoke only glue it more.

- Computer with SSD are faster to boot, but with reduced storage capability and more expensive, go for one with HD.

The most important is to check the RAM, there are some tools that you can download and run, the most famous is memtest86

https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

The RAM test might take hour for a full check, but a 20 minutes test usually is enough to find big issue on it.

Test the computer for at lest half hour. Use more programs, stress the computer: open a youtube video while playing, open office and leave it running.

Moreover I would check the capacitors on the motherboard.

Open the case, and check them the capacitors: if they are rounded or there is some leakage avoid it.

An image that can clarify it: https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/images/Computer_Randomly_Freezes_Up_01.jpg

Processor is also important, but you will fit good with a recent 3-4 years old computer.

You can also search on google for further suggestions, topic is really wide.

Anyway for 400$ you can get something good for sure.

Let me know if you have specific questions, otherwise we can write here for hours :)

I really dont know much about what you said about motherboards and capacitors etc? All i know is when i went looking for a pc I had no idea. Which brand might be better or how much memory or ram or ghz to get. I was interested in the all in one computers whats your opinion on those

All in one are nice, but more expensive. Moreover if a component broke, and warranty is expired, you cannot repair it simply.

For example, in a desktop, if the monitor breaks, you can just change it. If the video card is failing, you can just change it. With All in one you cannot do it.

For the memory depends much on the operating system.

Let's say windows 10? I would say buy it with at least 8GB of RAM.

For the processor, most of desktop have a CPU with 2-3Ghz, enough for you. Intel i3, i5 or i7 will be ok (latest is more powerful and more expensive, an i5 will be cheaper, an i3 is the less expensive but less powerful than the others).

Brand? HP, Dell are the most sold and famous for branded computer. Acer is one cheaper too.

Thats helpful thank you. How about refurbished? Good deal or stay away?

IMHO they are a good deal. They usually came with a warranty for 3-6-12 months.

And many computers get refurbished just for a simple hard disk broken.

Just look on internet for common problem of a specific model.

For example the notebook in IBM T42 was common to burn the modem in the first year.

Avoid the ones that everyone is speaking bad about :)

Micky
Micky, Lead Systems Engineer