Yesterday I received a call from a Microsoft representative…

Customer Question
Yesterday I received a...

Yesterday I received a call from a Microsoft representative that my computer was a bout to crash. I provided information and they have worked on it all day. They indicated they were near finished and would complete tomorrow. I want to confirm this is a legitimate transaction and I have not been hacked. Being they worked on it for so long. Is this customary. I as well gave them information to one of my credit cards, Can you confirm for me. Please advise.

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

It is an HP laptop computer

Technician's Assistant: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your HP?

I do not know how to answer. They sent me a confirmation e-mail regarding the fire wall protection purchased will that help? Unsure of what you mean by operating system

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your HP? Have you installed any updates recently?

No I was having problems with internet connection, contacted DISH they talked me through the problem. Very shortly after having s

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Do I have a problem, or was the contact made to me legitimate?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Computer
3/7/2018
Tech Support Specialist: John, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 month ago
John, Computer Support Specialist

Sir/Ma'am this is justanswer which is a paid and independent Q&A and Tech support providing site. We do not have any tie up with any companies but we can also help you fix the issue you are facing. We have been online for more than 10 years and we have A+ rating from Better Business Bureau which you can check using this link https://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/professional-services-general/justanswer-in-san-francisco-ca-82403#bbbseal Please let me know whether you wish to continue with our tech support or not.

Sincerely,

Note: - Use the reply box just below type the reply in it and click on send.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no thank you for the offer. The individuals whom called stated they were from Microsoft? Is it customary for them to call randomly such as that?

I am not clear what you meant by no thank you for the offer ?

Could you please clarify it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess I am totally confused, it is 3:30 a.m. and Iam worried I should not have allowed whom ever I spoke with access to my computer and so much other information. I was under the impression that you were asking me if I wanted to sign up for additional security at a cost. IT is my assumption that you are affiliated with Microsoft . This is where the other individuals stated they worked with. That is why I am unsure of what to think or do. Is it possible the other individuals whom called me yesterday and accessed my system were from Microsoft and I would not need your assistance>?

We are not linked with Microsoft.

When you say you are not interested in assistance do you assistance using this chat or remote assistance?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
John Ijust found in my e-mail that the company was not Microsoft but someone entitled international blessings . They had full access to my system all day yesterday as well as credit card information. I fear I was severly duped. I cancelled all credit card infol and deleted their activity from my system. I am under the assumption I was hacked would I be correct in my thoughts?

Yes you are correct and good thing that you blocked the payments and credit cards.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thankyou for the information. Beyond cancelling the credit card what other info can he get from my computer I should worry about? Whom else should I contact? Law enformcement, What now can be done to protect my computer? They were working on coordinates in it all day? Your response would be greatly appreciated.

Did they say that they were working the whole day on the computer or did you see them working on your computer?

Did they ask you to run a file to access your computer?

Checking to see whether you still need help.

Use the reply box just below type the reply in it and click on send.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I could see them working on my computer as I foolishly gave them access. I did check with the better business bureau. They inidicated they had a website and were listed as from Cambridge Minnesota. I did call the number as they had listed spoke with someone whom I stated I did not want them assisting, and I felt they had misrepresented themselves. The person indicated they would not charge me the amount of $199.00. I had already cancelled the account and had my credit card changed by that time. Should I be concerned for other things. At this time I have not done anything else. Thank you for your assistance.
Roxie

Since you blocked their payments that side is clear now to make sure they haven't installed any threatful programs i suggest you run a scan using malwarebytes anti-malware first then do another scan using adware cleaner and that will eliminate any threats.

You can download and install the free version of malwarebytes antimalware using this link : - https://www.malwarebytes.com/

To download and run the scan using adwcleaner use this link : - https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

That will do it.I hope that answers your question,if not please do let me know.

If you do not have any further questions please rate me using the rating options (stars) on the top of this page, select the rating and click on submit. If you need any help in the future please use this link to ask for me http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john/

Sincerely,

John, Computer Support Specialist