I have someone try to scam me actually did they took a video…

Customer Question
I have someone try...

I have someone try to scam me actually did they took a video of me while we were talkin I did not realize what was going on until it was too late then they're trying to Blackmail me with the video I need to know if there's any way I can delete that video from their end I have no access to it

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

Don't know what their device was thanks some kind of laptop mine is an Android cell phone didn't realize what was going on to the next thing they were trying to Blackmail me with the video and I cannot see it anymore but I know they have it is there anyway to retrieve it and erase it

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and version of Android of your laptop?

All I know is I have an Android where would I find the information that you asking for it was all done over my phone but I think the other person was on a computer

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your laptop? Have you installed any updates recently?

No I'm on my phone the other person was on a computer I think they took a video while we were talkin I did not realize what was going on and when I did I could not stop the video it kept running is there any way for me to retrieve that video from them and delete it

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Only that this is a very damaging video that I took I was scammed and thought I was talking to a different person now they're using this video holding it over my head and pretty much blackmailing me for money to keep from posting it all over the web please help very important could ruin my life

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
This video could be very damaging for me and I really need to find a way to access it and delete it before they post it all over the internet is there anyway I can stop this I have no access to the video now it was taken and I couldn't stop it I couldn't pull it back up and now they are trying to Blackmail me to keep them from putting it up on the internet is there any way possible to retrieve that video and delete it on their end
When will I get an answer how long would it take very worried about this video we can really ruin my life please help
3/7/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Sergil Cave, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 4 months ago
Sergil Cave
Sergil Cave, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been assigned your case. Unfortunately with cases like this the best way is to do the following:

1. Find out as much information as you can about this person who is black-mailing you, including where they live and so forth.

2. Get the local authorities (cops) involved since the only way you are going to be able to access this person's computer is due to a warrant.

Unfortunately even if we were able to get the picture off of this person's computer there is no telling where they shared it at online. Your best bet is to get the cops involved. Also let Google be your friend when doing research on this person. Also go to this site for more tips --> http://www.scamnet.wa.gov.au/scamnet/Scam_types-Unexpected_money-Upfront_payment__advanced_fee_frauds-Video_or_photo_blackmail_scams__How_to_Fight_Back.htm

From that site:

Here are our top 10 tips to Fight Back if online scammers try to blackmail you…

1. DO NOT PAY. Those who have paid, report that the scammers came back the next day with demands for even more money.

2. Make a note of the scammer's details so they can be reported in order to help protect others. Skype name, Facebook URL, any photos that were sent and the details you have been given to send the money to will be useful.

3. Report their profiles to the sites you met them on or that they are using to contact you.

4. Remove the video if it is uploaded to a sharing website. This is very easy to do. Most scammers use YouTube to upload videos, but the steps will be similar no matter where it ends up. The video needs to be flagged as inappropriate. To do this, click on the flag icon below and to the right of the video. After that, select “sexual content”, “graphic sexual activity” or “nudity” as the reason. Once the video has been reported, it's usually deleted in the space of a few minutes. From our experience the scammers cannot risk keeping evidence of their scam, so once the video has been deleted, no more instances of it turn up.

5. To ensure you can act fast if the video does reappear, do a Google search of your name. Scammers will use “***** ***** masturbating”, “Fred Bloggs scandal” or some similar phrase in their video title, so the search needs to be for your full name. You do this by putting it into “speech marks”. Searching for Joe Bloggs will give you every Joe and every Bloggs, but searching for “Joe Bloggs” will only give you the hits on your full name. If you find your video elsewhere, report it and it will be removed

6. Set up a Google alert by going to www.google.com/alerts. Use your name as the search query and video as the result type. Let it tell you “as-it-happens” and select “all results”. Enter your email address and then click the “create alert” button. Now, if any videos with your name appear, Google will email you to tell you about it. As we said before, it's highly unlikely it will appear, but it's better to be safe than sorry. If you don't get any emails, then that's good news. It means nothing has been posted.

7. Now you need to block the scammer. If you have them on your Skype list, right click their name in your contacts list and click on “block this person”. If they're on your Facebook friends list, then you need to delete and block them there too. Click on your name at the top of the page, then on “Friends” to see your friends list. Hover over the button with a tick and the word “Friends” in it and some new options will pop up. Click on “Report/Block”, then choose the option to block them.

8. We recommend at this point that you deactivate your account for two weeks. This will make the scammer think you've panicked and deleted your account. To do this, click on the account menu at the top, right hand of the screen. It's an icon that looks like a cog. Select “Account Settings”, then on “Security”. Now you need to click on “Deactivate your account”. This doesn't delete your account; it merely makes it appear deleted. Make up an excuse to tell your friends why you’re offline – you’re applying for jobs and don’t want your profile found by a new employer, that sort of thing.

9. Once the two weeks are up, then you can reactivate it and nothing will be lost. Be absolutely sure your scammer is not in your friends list. After this, we recommend you change your username and profile photo as this prevents the scammer from finding you again. The username change will change the URL of your page. Do not add anyone you don't already know to your friends list, and change your security setting so non friends cannot see your profile. These are extra steps we advise to keep you safe.

10. Did the scammer get your phone number or email address? Be sure to block them there too. Don't answer the phone to anyone whose number you don't recognise and be very wary of opening any emails. To be extra secure, you could make a new email address, send it to those you want to keep in contact with and abandon the old one. If you didn't provide your phone number or email address, ask yourself how easy it would be to work out your contract details from your profile page or any information about you that is online. Odds are, they won't do that much work, but it's worth thinking about.

Okay this person scared me and I paid them they said they would delete it they do have my phone number don't know if they have my email or not but they friended me on Facebook and it showed they were friends of some of my friends so I friended them they started talkin to me and I ended up on a video not knowing it they sent me copies of all the information showed me they had all my contacts family and friends and we're going to send this video to everyone if I did not pay so I paid it scared to death not knowing but not worried about the money so much as the video showing up somewhere specially with my friends and family it could damage me for life I'm not good with a computer all the stuff you're telling me to do I really don't know how to do I need some help someone to help me do it or do it for me please help me before my whole life is ruined from the stupid ass video thought I was talking to them and private did not know that they were video recording me till it was too late it's not something I would really like to go to the cops about I really don't want anyone seeing or knowing about this if there's any way around it please advise
Can you access my phone and do all that stuff for me I do not know how and don't understand it all not good with this kind of stuff at all please help

Hold on for a few minutes, let me see what I can do for you.

Thank you I will be here waiting I've never been so worried in my life about anything this could really ruin me for good could do tremendous irreversible damage
They have all my family contacts and Friends and they had the video threatening to send it to everyone so closing my account I don't think we'll keep them from sending it cuz they already have everything and my phone number
Is there any way to stop them from being able to send it to all my friends and family without notifying anyone else
I have not seen the video anywhere they said it had not been posted and they wouldn't post it they're supposed to contact me in the morning at 9 to give me a link to delete it
Please help me I'm very worried about this video so much I can't sleep or eat it is making me sick worrying about this please help me anyway you can
Please tell me something I've been holding for a while now haven't heard back please I really need yall's help I can't do this by myself I don't know how please let me know you're still there
Now they have deleted that profile or made it where I can access it so I cannot get any information other than the name I have and the phone number that they text me from but they first contacted me on Facebook then they got my phone number and text me so I have their number as well if that will help all I have is a name and a number

I am sorry to keep you waiting...I was having some technical difficulties myself. You can actually type their name into www.google.com and/or www.zabasearch.com to find out more information on this individual. Unfortunately I can not remote into your phone or that person's phone since it is all pretty much locked down. The only and best thing to do is to create a google alert with your name or that person's name and it will alert you when something is posted https://www.google.com/alerts

It is highly recommended not to contact this person for it will just make the problem worse.

I also recommend working with this team --> https://www.reputationdefender.com/control-your-online-reputation/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkc-KsrnZ2QIVg4jICh0SbghZEAAYAiAAEgKvm_D_BwE

They will keep the situation you are in private and they wont tell anyone about it...they will just take care of it for you and remove the incriminating photos off the Internet and protect you for any future black mail attempts or image postings

I have a friend that has used them and they were great at taking down the incriminating photos.

Unfortunately there is no way to stop someone from posting to any site they wish once they have your photos but at least with this service you can stay on top of it and find out which sites have the photos and have them removed immediately.

I am going to bed for tonight but if these solutions weren't good for you, please let me know I will kindly opt out and let another expert take over this ticket.

The video was not something I would want anyone to ever see
Tech Support Specialist: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 4 months ago
Chris L., Support Specialist

The information you received from the previous expert is correct however there are a coupe of other things you should do. You need to understand that in this situation the damage has already been done so at this point all you can do is attempt damage control. Aside from what you were told above I suggest you sign up with a company like lifelock who will monitor the internet for you and attempt to remove your information here is their website https://www.lifelock.com there is a phone number on that site that you can call for a consultation. I would also suggest you report the incident to your local authorities as well as they may be able to help. I hope I have earned a 5 star rating for providing you a quick answer! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.