I have a toshiba laptop that is giving me a blue recovery…

Customer Question
I have a toshiba...

I have a toshiba laptop that is giving me a blue recovery screen and error code 0xc000014c

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Toshiba laptop?

Wimdows 10

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried rebooting from a DVD or flash drive?

Just downloaded windows 10 onto a usb drive but it does nothing and ithe screen asks me to give the password ***** the hard drive hdd/ssd

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Whats it going to cost to continue?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Computer
anybody there?
what's going on?
3/6/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Aaron B, Computer Support Specialist replied 5 months ago
Aaron B
Aaron B, Computer Support Specialist

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you. What happens when you try to boot off your recovery USB? Do you get any errors?

when i put the usb in it doesn't do anything different than if i didn't have it in. it doesnt prompt me to do anything. I can't get past the hdd/ssd password *****

You might be able to reset the hard drive password ***** the BIOS. You would press F2 as soon as you power on that laptop. Once in the BIOS look for a "Security" menu.

That is where you would create a new password ***** that option exists.

Ok so you can get past the hdd password ***** When you power on that laptop, please press the F12 screen to open a boot menu. If one opens up then look for your USB drive and choose that to boot from.

If F12 does not work, then please tell me the exact Toshiba model number. There should be a sticker on the bottom of that laptop that has the model number printed.

powering on and holding f12 still just gets me to my password *****
toshiba satellite C551-C5300

As long as you know the password ***** should then try to boot. You could try changing the boot type in the BIOS to Legacy instead of UEFI. Also, you could change the boot order in the BIOS so that it will try to boot off of the USB drive first before the hard drive.

Also, did you create that USB drive using Windows 10 "Create a recovery drive"?

In the "Security" tab of the BIOS you could try to disable "Secure Boot". Change it to Disabled.

the only password ***** know is the one that i set originally to get the laptop to open. I do not have the hard drive password ***** it is asking for
i did do windows 10 recovery
That is not highlighted in other words nothing can happen when i try to click on that

You could try entering in Toshiba with a capital T.

Did not work
do you think it's a lost cause?
btw,
i'm on my desktop doing this with you so nobody would be able to try to remotely connect to the laptop with the issue

Did you set the HDD password ***** someone else? I am trying to find a way to get around or change or disable that password.

I bought this laptop at Best Buy in 1/11/2016 and never had to do anything to it other than start it up

If it is still under warranty you might be able to contact Toshiba and maybe they have a solution. BIOS and hard drive passwords if you don't know them many times are impossible to get around. If you need the data off that hard drive you could pull the drive out and install it in another desktop computer and see if you can access the data.

okay thanks anyway
if i did that would it still ask me for the password ***** the hard drive?

It might or would just not allow you to access the data at all.

got it

Also, since that computer does not have a bios password, you could still use it by installing a different hard drive.

yeah i just wanted to try and save some stuff on it but it isn't super important

Right on.