Earlier today I received an ALERT from what looked like a…

Earlier today I received...

Earlier today I received an ALERT from what looked like a genuine Microsoft site. The screen said I had been infected by a Trojan horse. That my information had been hacked, by something called "clampi", and I needed a "permanent network firewall". He took over control of my computer for about an hour or more then he brought up the firewall protection. Started out over $1100 then $500 then $149 when I told him I couldn't afford the higher amounts. When he told me the charge on my card would appear as coming from six-pc-tool.com I hung up. Just didn't ring true to me. The phone numbers he gave me were:(###) ###-####and(###) ###-#### My friend who was here told me to call back and ask, if this was Apple support and he said " yes". I called my credit card company and had the charge taken off. I had received an email from the credit card company as a FRAUD alert. Please tell me if this was legitimate or not. Let me know, if you need more information.Thank you

Technician's Assistant: What kind of Apple device do you have? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

I have an Apple phone, but my laptop that I received the message on is HP.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Apple device? What have you tried so far?

T did not effect my Apple iphone only my HP laptop.

Technician's Assistant: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?

I check my email on Yahoo, but it is a bellsouth address.

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access Yahoo? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Web browser or on my i phone.

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

None, except what the man did who took control of my laptop.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

In the upper corner of one of the pages he opened it said "itechcare.us".

3/6/2018
Cris
Cris, Support Specialist

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com I am Cris and will be glad to assist you.

No, the alert was a total scam. It is a virus on your PC which tricks people into thinking they are contacting Microsoft. Microsoft does not monitor your PC or have you call them.

Follow up with your credit card company to make sure they are aware of the scam. Let me know if you would like remote support in checking your PC for the virus which caused the issue. I am a computer expert on JustAnswer.com with thousands of positive reviews and 10 years plus of IT experience.

Please take a moment to rate my service and submit at the top if no further questions.

I have already called the credit card company and cancelled that card. Nothing showed up on my “old” PC or my phone or tablet and the man said since they were linked to the same router they would be effected as well.

That is not true. The PC you had the notification has a virus. That does not technically mean that it now on your other machines through your router.

However, I highly recommend you have your PC scanned for any viruses because the message could appear or they could have a ransom virus. Which will lock your data until you pay a fee.

I am going to install VIPRE. Thank you

Excellent! Vipre is very good and Eset NOD 32 on www.eset.com

Ranks highest in detection and removal rate. Please take a moment to rate my service and submit at the top so I am credited for assisting you.

Cris
Cris, Support Specialist