The computer is not charging when using the adapter. The…

The computer is not...

The computer is not charging when using the adapter. The error says it does not recognize the power adapter, even though I have been using it for over a year since getting my Inspirion 13 lap top computer. The computer runs, but will not charge the battery

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Inspiron?

Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried rebooting from a DVD or flash drive?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

The message says it will run, but at a slower pace with the power cord adapter which it does now not recognize

3/5/2018
Shefin, Computer Support Specialist

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Remove all external devices, CDs, AC Adapter and battery from the computer. Keep the AC Adapter and battery unplugged.

Hold the power button down for 20-30 seconds. (Nothing will appear on the display and none of the lights will light up.)

Plug in the ac adapter ONLY. (Please note that a power indicator light should be lit on the ac adapter when it is plugged in).

Normally power on the notebook.

If the unit does not power on, remove the ac adapter and insert the battery into the system.

Plug the ac adapter back into the system, the battery charging indicator light will light up.

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!

The back of the Dell computer is screwed on and the battery is not easily accessable.

Please remove the AC Adapter from the computer.

Press and hold the power button for a minute.

Then, release the power button and wait for two minutes.

After that, press the power button to start the computer and check if the issue persists.

Thank you.

The issue still exists

Do you have a different Adapter to try with?

Thank you.

no
Thank you for trying. I'll look for another way of resolving this issue.Please cancel my membership to this web site.Thanks,
Brent Rayner

I can help you get a refund. However, It seems the issue is with the AC Adapter itself. If you want, I can open the session for other experts.

Thank you.

The adapter has the light on that it is working, and the computer is able to run from the power adapter. It is just that the battery is not charging. Also, the computer is running very slowly. The message indicated that the computer would try and run even though it didn't recognize the adapter, and that said that the computer might run slower.

Have you tried uninstalling the battery from Device Manager? Then, restarted the computer?

Thank you.

I have not. It requires taking the back of the computer off.. There are a number of screws to take off and I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Not physically. Please right click on the Start button and select Device Manager. I Device manager, click to expand battery. Right click on the battery name and select Uninstall. Then, restart the computer. Do the same if it listed AC Adapter too.

Thank you.

I tried both suggestions and neither worked. Thank you for trying.

I will open the question for other experts.

Thank you.

Micky
Micky, Lead Systems Engineer

Try to check the battery status from the BIOS, this will exclude any problem with the OS:

* Restart the system and keep tapping 'F2' as soon as the Dell logo appears.
* Under 'System', go to 'Device Info'.
* Check the status of AC Adapter. You should see the Wattage for your battery, compare with the sticker on the battery.
* Under 'System' go to 'Battery Info' and also check 'Battery Health'.

Please also check the official documentations:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln148385/troubleshoot-ac-adapter-error-messages-on-dell-laptop-pc?lang=en

Micky
Micky, Lead Systems Engineer