Windows 10 Pro upgrade from Windows 7 Pro fails due to

Windows 10 Pro upgrade...

Windows 10 Pro upgrade from Windows 7 Pro fails due to error: 0xc0000017. Ran Bcdedit but it did not fix error. Message said: "An error occurred while attempting to delete the specified data element. Element not found." Please help!

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

Windows 10 Pro upgrade from Windows 7 Pro currently used.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer?

Custom built.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

I have repeatedly tried BCDedit fix to no avail. Downloaded Win 10 Pro ISO

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/5/2018
Richard, Computer Specialist

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Are you trying to upgrade via an upgrade iso image?

And where did you get it from?

Please let me know

Richard, nothing personal, but I had to repeat my problem, including that I downloaded the ISO using Windows Mediator Creator as instructed by Microsoft.

Nothing personal taken, just clarifying, use this file instead

https://www.dropbox.com/s/834540cm6axm0rj/Windows10Upgrade24074.exe?dl=0

Run it on the computer you want to upgrade and let it do the upgrade instead

Let me know how you go please

https://www.screencast.com/t/aknuMAPcv

Thanks,

Can you replace the file C:\Windows10Upgrade\wimgapi.dll with the one from C:\Windows\System32\wimgapi.dll

then try to run it please

Win 10 Update Assistant reports: Something went wrong! error 0x8007007e.

Did you copy the files as per my last instructions?

Attempted to replace win10 wimgap.dll w/wimgap.dll but access denied

You should see the option to proceed with the copy if you are administrator

Copy worked.

now try to install via my file

Ran your .exe and this came up: Windows 10 Update Assistant is already running.

ok, it is then open, look for the icon there where it is running else restart the computer and run it again plase

will do. reboot into win 7 takes awhile on my PC. One of many reasons I have finally given in to go to Win 10

Understood, thanks

Hi there...

you never replied back or provided a rating once you got all the answers from me.. is there a reason for that? Is it now all installed?

Installation reached 99% and stalled. I left my PC on all night, but installation never completed.

What happens if you now start the computer

Win 7 operates w/o apparent problems.

ok, than do the following please

Click start, type in CMD and right click on command prompt and select run as administrator

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then try to upgrade please

scannow did not detect any corrupted files.Chckdsk will have to wait as I have a business day ahead.

ok, let me know how it goes please

Will do. Thanks for your patience and attention.

You are welcome

Richard, Computer Specialist
chkdsk /r reported "Volume Clean"Installation failed as before.
Please advise next step.

Is it giving the same error?

As mentioned, after getting a clean bill of health from chkdsk /r and scannow, I ran the update again. Same result, stalled at 99% completion after many hours of processing.

ok, you then need to do a reinstall first of windows 7

Can you backup your data from it please, tell me when you have as this removes everything

A head scratcher! Despite my obsession with maintenance, my Win 7 was so creaky I decided to upgrade to Win 10 rather than go thru the grind of re-installing Win 7 via fresh or non-destructive alternatives. After backing up, how about installing Win 10 on the wiped drive, and then transferring what I need from the mounted back up image via pcmover?

You need to have windows 7 on first as it is an upgrade

Aha! I do have s Win 10 installed on another HD, so I might transfer my Win 7 stuff to it. Once done, I could clone the updated Win 10 to the Win 7 HD, than having swapable Win 10's.

As long as it was installed on the same hardware it is ok

sir! Many thanks for your help.