My PC with Windows 10 updated yesterday and now my keyboard…

My PC with Windows...

My PC with Windows 10 updated yesterday and now my keyboard and mouse don't work when Windows loads. Keyboard works to navigate BIOS screens. The result is that when I start my PC I get to the Windows welcome screen (picture and date/time) but can't get to log in screen. How do I fix this?

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting the mouse: by USB or wirelessly?

I have tried both. Neither works.

Technician's Assistant: Have you switched the mouse (or mouse receiver) to different ports to see if that helps?

Yes

2/21/2018
Cris
Cris, Support Specialist

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com I am Cris and will be glad to assist you.

1. Turn off the PC.
  2. Then turn it back and and immediately start tapping the F8 key on the key to bring up advanced options.
  3. Using the Keyboard arrows scroll down to Safe Mode with Networking and Hit Enter.

Let me know if when you boot into safe mode you can control the keyboard and mouse at the desktop.

Also please ignore remote request they are automated through the website.

Any luck?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
F8 key did not activate anything.

Did you attempt more then once? The key has be tap repeatedly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tried several times.
Shefin, Computer Support Specialist

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

You can resolve the issue by restoring the computer to an earlier date or uninstalling the last two updates. Since you are not able to use any USB device with the computer, it is difficult to do so. So, you have to get into Advanced options window, and restore the computer, or Reset the PC to get the issue resolved.

Can I go ahead and help you further with refreshing or resetting the PC?

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will not be back to my PC until Tuesday. I will contact you then.

Take your time and be back.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am back at my computer now. Any suggestions on how to solve my problem?

Please try restoring the computer to an earlier date.

Restart your computer while holding the SHIFT button. Press and hold the power button (while holding the Shift key) till the gets turned OFF, Then, release the power button and press it again to restart the computer. Release the Shit key when it turns ON.

Note : If you do not get the options, restart it again. Press and hold the power button before it boots to Windows. Try it for three times.

The Advanced Startup menu will open on the boot. Go to Troubleshoot.

Then, click or tap Advanced Options.

Now you have access to several system recovery tools. Choose System Restore in order to start it. It should be the first on the list.

Windows takes some time to prepare System Restore. It may even restart your computer or device. When System Restore is ready, you are asked to choose a user account to continue. Select an account that is set as administrator on your Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 computer or device.

You are asked to enter the password ***** that account. Please pay attention to the fact that Windows shows you the keyboard layout it is using. If you need to change it, press “Change keyboard layout” and select another one. When ready, type the password ***** the appropriate field and press Continue.

System Restore is now started and you can use it to revert Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 to a previously working state. Choose an earlier date and follow the instructions.

If the issue persists, we will try Resetting the PC.

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Followed your instructions but do not get an Advanced Setup menu. The third time- when Windows starts to open - it goes to an automatic repair screen but I can’t navigate that due to the mouse and keyboard problem.

Please try once again.

When the computer is ON, remove the power cable to turn it OFF and try again.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tried three times by removing power cable but it never went to advanced setup menu. On the third time when Windows started to open it says “Scanning and repairing drive (C:): 0% complete”

Please complete the scan and restart the computer. Check if the issue persists.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. It still shows 0% complete so it may take a long time.

Okay. Take your time and be back.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It has been over two hours and it still shows 0% complete.

Please restart the computer and try restarting the computer.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Restarted computer and when it gets to Windows it goes to th “scanning and repairing drive”

Can you cancel it by pressing any key?

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. Once it gets to Windows the keyboard seems to be turned off.

Okay. Check if you are able to complete the scan this time.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I try again.

Okay be back with the result.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It has been over 30 minutes and it still shows 0% complete.

May I know the make and model number of your computer?

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is an HP Pavilion model p6754y

As soon as the computer restarts, keep tap the F10 key and check if you get recovery options.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
F10 takes me to the BIOS Setup Utility. F11 says it is Recovery but nothing happens when I press it.

As soon as the computer restarts, keep taping F11 till you get the recovery options. try it three times.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
F11 key does not activate anything

Does the computer has a removable battery?

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is a desktop model. I don’t know if there is a battery inside or not.

Remove all external devices, CDs, all cables including power, monitor, keyboard and mouse from the CPU. Then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. After doing the same, reinsert power, monitor and keyboard cables, and turn on the computer.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When it restarted when it got to Windows it went to “scanning and repairing drive “

Please let it be on one hour and be back.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It has been an hour and it still shows 0%.

Has it come with Windows 10 installed?

If yes, please try the following once again.

1. Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F11 key, about once every second, until the Choose your keyboard layout screen is displayed.
  2. Select the keyboard layout.
  3. The computer restarts. If the recovery partition on the hard disk drive is functioning correctly, the Choose an Option screen is displayed. Click Troubleshoot.
  4. On the Troubleshoot screen, click Recovery Manager.

If you are still not able to follow the instructions, please try the instructions in the link below.

http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=NoPowerorBootIssues.net&as=true&SFS=sdoc&section=ccweb&language=english&lc=en&cc=us&tracking=m6cxagvv&dcsession=53593267&action=step&response=1&step=C26786.C25811&session=d74cbb20-dedb-4334-a28e-5839a3

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It came with Windows 7 and I upgraded to 10. I get to the “choose your keyboard layout” screen but can’t select anything because the keyboard and mouse don’t work.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I turned on my computer today it went through some Windows updates for a few minutes and then restarted the computer. When it started it was a normal startup and everything seems to be working now.

I am very glad to hear that.

Thank you!

Shefin, Computer Support Specialist
Shefin, Computer Support Specialist