Just got a suspicious phone call... stating they are

Just got a suspicious...

Just got a suspicious phone call... stating they are Microsoft, and there is suspicious activity with my account. Number given is (###) ###-#### It was a recording. My grandson just did connect to my wi fi for his phone .. Thanks *****: Who makes your router?

Spectrum

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

I didn't call that number... got on with you, instead.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

No just.... would you guys be calling instead of flagging me via my email? If not.. you have the number of that recording. Usually, its Indian guys, in a large room with several others, stating something's wrong and I need to connect to them, immediately. Which, I know NOT to do... they ask for control of the computer. I have Norton and Avast in place.

2/18/2018
Shefin, Computer Support Specialist

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

An increasing number of computer users are receiving similar phone calls and some — afraid of potential data loss and device damage — are surrendering their bank account information in the hope this will protect their tech.

If you get such a call, we’re here to tell you — hang up. It is a SCAM!!!

Microsoft does not do that nor do they have partners who do that nor do they hire sub-contractors or people or even get volunteers to do that. Do not trust unsolicited calls. Do not provide any personal information.

Cybercriminals pretending to work for Microsoft, Geek Squad, or any other nationally-recognized tech company call their intended victims, claim they’ve scanned their computers remotely and found viruses on them. Relying on computer users’ fear of viruses, data loss and identity theft, they trick people into giving them actual access to the computer.

Once the scammer has access to the victim’s system, they will often show the user scary looking error messages on the machine, require immediate payment to cleanup the “dangerously infected” computer and install more “protection” software onto the system. Chances are they’ll take the opportunity to install other bits of malware to capture the victim’s online shopping or banking information.

Check the link below for more information.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

If you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!

I did not request anything of you. I pAID THE $5... YOU TOOK $47. I DID NOT AUTHORIZE THAT. I WaTED TO REPORT someone calling me telling me my security was compromised. I provided the number for YOUR SECURITY people to investigate. Now, I got an email saying you are terminating my email account. WTF?????????????????? I do not want $47 taken from my account. and I don't want my dbsci account to be terminated.

Please note that we are not associated Microsoft, and we are expert from justanswer.com, a paid support site. We cannot terminate your account. I would suggest you check your account (not using the link they have provided), and if you are able to login, please change your password.

Thank you.

I provided the number of the scammer. Please let your security team look into it, and arrange to shut them down. Thank you.

I would suggest you reporting them, by filling the website below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/reportascam/

Thank you.

Shefin, Computer Support Specialist