My other computer (a Dell) is stuck. It says Project Window…

My other computer (a...

My other computer (a Dell) is stuck. It says Project Window and keeps rotating among 4 choices on the right. How do I get out of it? I have tried turning it off, then on, tried esc., Nothing seems to work.

Technician's Assistant: What application are you using?

I am not using any program. I went on in safe mode and reset my computer password ***** I had forgotten the password.

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Answered in 1 hour by:
2/3/2018
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

It happened this afternoon. I don't remember the time. Since it is stuck, it is still there and has happened only once. It is still stuck. I have turned the computer off, but when I turn it on, it comes back to the same place and I cannot get out. If you can connect to it as is, feel free to do so. Since I cannot get past the problem, there is no way I can help you connect to it other than give you information about it on this computer.
It will do no good to connect to this computer. I am not sure how you can connect to the computer with the problem. If I click "Securely connect" you will connect to this computer which will not help.

OK - to allow me to connect to your PC/MAC, you must install free remote access software.

Please click on this link to the AnyDesk website: https://anydesk.com/remote-desktop
Click on the "Download" box to download and install the software on your computer.
Once installed, reboot your computer.
Upon reboot, open the software from your computer and you will see an AnyDesk address, please give that to me and I will connect with it.
Thanks
Kris

I think you are telling me how to let you connect to this computer. That will not help. Since the other computer is stuck, there is no way I can download and install any software on it.
I cannot reboot it. I can't do anything with it. I cannot sign off. It is stuck. I can only turn it off by pressing the button. Then when I turn it back on, it is still stuck at the same point.

=========================================
Okay no problem.

I am going to opt out so another expert can have a go at helping as I am out of ideas.

Someone will pick this up and you will be emailed.

Thanks

Kris

Thanks. I appreciate your referring it to someone else. Sorry you could not help.
Sheri
Sheri, Expert

Hi Customer,

Thanks for using JustAnswer. I am happy to assist you with this issue. First of all, if the system generated offer for remote service comes up, you can just ignore it. It is system generated, not by me. I will offer a remote session unless you request it. To get started, can you please tell me what version of Windows you have on your computer? Then we can go to the next step.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

The computer with the problem has Windows 8.1.

I wanted to clarify. Once you turn off the computer and turn it back on, does it boot up to Windows, and then you see the Project Windows open with the choices? or do you see this before it boots up to Windows?

I see this immediately. It does not boot up to Windows. It just goes to the Project Window with the choices.

What are the 4 choices you see?

The four choices are: PC screen only; Duplicate; Extend; and Second screen only. It keeps selecting these in rapid order, going in circular fashion through the list. There seems to be nothing I can do to stop it.

Try holding the power button down until the computer shuts off. Now, power back on and rapidly press and hold down the windows key and then pump the P key up and downand see if that deactivates this behavior. Also, make sure no cables are plugged into the computer for an additional display, such as HDMI cable.

Let me know if that helps, so we can go to the next step, if needed.
Regards,
Sheri-Expert

That did seem to stop that behavior but it comes up with the password ***** and keeps filling it with dots. I click to see what the characters are and they are all the letter p. I kept backspacing, hoping to remove them, but they keep coming.

That confirms my suspicion. I believe your "P" key is sticking. You may have to try popping off the cover and then reattaching it, or first, just gently prying it up a bit. Be careful because there are small plastic parts underneath.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

I was able to power it off normally, then turned it back on. It asked for the system password ***** I typed in, then the normal password ***** came up and immediately started filling with the letter p;

That confirms my suspicion. I believe your "P" key is sticking. You may have to try popping off the cover and then reattaching it, or first, just gently prying it up a bit. Be careful because there are small plastic parts underneath. Otherwise, you have a short in your keyboard. Is this a desktop or laptop computer?

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

That didn't seem to work. The p key does not appear to be sticking. I moves normally. Here is some additional information I just got. It seems to be coming up in BIOS. When I turn it on, it does not come up with the normal password ***** but a screen that says "Please type in the system or administrator password ***** press <Enter>. Above, it says: Bios note: Press <F2> to enter setup. Press <F12> for BBS POPUP Menu. When I enter the system password ***** press enter, it next comes up with what looks like the normal password ***** and immediately starts filling it with the letter p. I am fairly certain that the letter p is not stuck.

is it a desktop or laptop computer?

It is a laptop. Is there a way we can continue this tomorrow? I am caretaker for my wife who is ill. I need to take care of her for the evening.

Yes. Just reply when ready.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Ok. I will reply tomorrow. In the meantime, if you think you have enough information to know what the problem is, send me an email and I will try it before getting back to you.

OK, I will, but first I will need to know the brand and model of the laptop. This can usually be found on the underside of the laptop.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Sorry that I could not get back yesterday or earlier today. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15 (3000 series) with an AMD A4 processor.
If you can respond with an approximate time (and time zone) you think you will be available tomorrow, I will try to watch for a response from you around that time. I THINK I will be free almost all of the time tomorrow and tomorrow evening, so I will watch for a response from you.

I am curious, does it type a capital or lowercase p? If it is a lowercase p, press shift and tell me if it starts typing a capital P or vice versa. Although the key does not feel like it is stuck down, the mechanism underneath may have gotten dirty or something could be under there shorting it or pressing the button underneath down. You can try pressing up and down on it hard and also pressing the keys surrounding it up and down. If you have canned air, you can spray some underneath. You can also pop off the key and put it back on after. Another solution is to remove the charger and laptop battery for a couple of days and then test it again.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

When I press the shift key it does not change to upper case. The reason that I think the p key is not stuck is that when it is in BIOS and asks for the system key, I can type p or P in that field and it works normally without repeating although it displays *s so I cannot see what really printed. When I enter the system key and hit enter it appears to go out of the BIOS and asks for the key, but I do not enter anything. It immediately starts printing the letter p continuously. Although they appear as dots, I can display them as letters.

Let's make sure sticky keys is turned off. First, are you able to boot into Windows? If so, once in there, go to the search in the bottom left. Start typing "sticky" without the quotes. When you see "ease of access keys" come up in the list, click on it. In the Window that opens, uncheck sticky keys and click apply and ok. Reboot and test. Let me know if that helps.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

I am not able to boot into Windows. When it is typing p I turn it off, then when I turn it on again, it comes up in BIOS asking for the system key. I type in the system key and hit enter. It then asks for the key, but does not appear to be in BIOS and is printing p continuously. I then again click on the symbol at the bottom to turn it off again. All I am able to do is repeat this cycle.

what do you mean by BIOS asking for System Key. Are you getting into the BIOS?

I think that is the root of the problem. I thought I had stated that before, but maybe not. Anyway, I have somehow gotten into BIOS.The screen is as follows:
Version 2.15.1236
BIOS Date: 03/20/2014 19:47:05 Ver: CEDAR001
Press <F2> to enter setup. Press <F12> for BBS POPUP Menu
Under that is a blue box which at the top says Enter System Password
It is in this box that I can enter p or P and the key does not stick. I then delete these and enter the password. The Dell logo comes up and after a wait a screen comes up (which appears to be outside BIOS) which asks for the password, but there is no chance to enter it. It is this screen that keeps filling with the letter p. I then click on the off symbol down in the right corner and click to shut down, which it does. When I then turn it on, I get the BIOS screen described above and we have gone full circle. This sequence keeps repeating. I think the key is to somehow get out of BIOS. Perhaps I need to do something to insure that BIOS has not been damaged?

Can you send me a picture of any of the screens you are seeing?

I should be able to do that. Since the computer isn't working, I can't get screenshots, but I should be able to take a picture of the screen with my phone, but not tonight. Probably tomorrow afternoon I will be ab;e to take a photo of each of the screens I get and send those to you. I will not be available tomorrow morning, but will try for the afternoon. If for some reason I can't tomorrow, I will try for Thursday.

Ok, that would be great. Thanks

I am sending 3 files which have the pictures for the 3 screens I get. Screen 1 is the screen I get when I turn on the computer. This appears to be in BIOS. Note the information at the top. I don't know whether F2 or F12 will help us or not. Anyway, I type the password ***** requested and hit enter. It then goes to screen 2 which is just a wait screen with the Dell logo and the wait wheel (which does not show up in the picture) below. After a few seconds it goes to Screen 3. It is at this screen that the password ***** filling with the letter p. After a while, this disappears and it says password, but when I place the cursor to try to enter a password, it starts filling up with the letter p again. Down in the lower right corner is the "off" symbol which does not show up in the picture. I click on it and select Shut Down from the 3 usual choices and it shuts down. Whenever I start it again, it comes up with Screen 1 and repeats the sequence. This is all I get - the two screens with the wait screen between. At no time do I see anything else. This is a complete description of the screens seen and what happens. Again, I don't know whether F2 or F12 on the BIOS screen will help us or not, but I did not want to try them without advice. One other thing - I did try restart once rather than shut down and got the same final result. It just took longer.

Thanks for the screenshots. They helped a lot for me to understand what you are seeing. Screen 1 is the screen that asks for the bios password. Not sure if you set this, but it is not that common to set a bios password. The F2 menu is to get into the Bios to change settings in there. The F12 is to bring up a menu that lets you choose an alternate boot device, such as a flash drive or CD drive, to start Windows. The Screen 2 is the normal Dell splash screen. Screen 3 is the Windows login. I suggest that you remove the battery from the laptop and remove the power cord. Leave the computer off for at least 2 days. Then plug in and see it the problem is gone. Please reply back and let me know the results.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

I removed the battery and power cord about 7:00 this morning. I will wait until sometime late Saturday afternoon to allow plenty of time, then replace them and let you know the result.

Thanks. I will wait to hear the results.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Hi, I haven't heard back from you. I just wanted to follow up to see if everything is resolved and whether you still need assistance. Please reply and let me know.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

I just replaced the battery and plugged in the laptop and there was no improvement. I still get exactly the same screen sequence I sent you.

ok, so let's try some other things. Can you choose F2 to get into the bios. Once in there look for the power on or system bios password ***** bootup password ***** hard drive password (whatever it is called, depending on that version on there). Once you change the setting to tell it not to require the password, press the key combination to save changes and exit. Next, if it reboots or lands you at the Windows login screen, see if it lets you log in or still types P's.

Regards

Sheri-Expert

Pressing F2 did not work. The key did not respond. However, we MAY be making progress. When I got to screen 3, it was no longer typing p's. It wanted the login password. The computer was being used by my wife. We have moved and she hasn't used it for several months. She wasn't sure of the password ***** we tried what she thought it was. It said that it was incorrect and said to enter the correct password ***** to go to account.live.com/password/reset to reset it. Of course, we can't get there. It let me go to Advanced Startup Options. From there I tried the continue option and the troubleshooting option. Both just took me back to the screen 1 that I sent you. Maybe this will give you some ideas, such as a way around the sign in password ***** another way to change it?

Try going to that address on another device to access and change the password ***** that account. Then you can log in this computer with it.

How can I find the account? We use AOL email addresses and I don't remember our addresses for Microsoft. Is there a way we can find them or how can I get to the account?
It may be a while before I can get back to you. My wife developed an Achilles tendon problem due to a drug side effect. She can't put any weight on that foot and has to call the doctor to see him tomorrow, but we don't know what time or how long we will be there.
Here’s a link that may help explain the Windows Live ID reset process. Just copy and paste it in your browser to view:
https://www.lostwindowspassword.com/windows-10/forgot-windows-live-id-password.htmlJust reply when u can.
Regards,
Sheri-Expert

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Again, it may be a while before I get back to you. I think this computer needs a new battery. This one isn't charging and it says the battery is low. I will try the link and get back to you when I get this problem fixed. It could be a few days. I don't have transportation and will have to have my daughter take me. It may be a few days because of her work schedule. I will get back ASAP but it could be a few days.

My apologies, that was not intended for you. Please take your time.

I am finally back. I hope there are no more interruptions until we finish. I went to the Windows Live reset process link you gave me above but was unable to find anything I could get to work for me. I am not sure that it will be of any help to you, but the computer with the problem has Windows 8.1. This computer has Windows 10.
Maybe you can tell me what to use at the link that will help me, or where do we go from here?

Unfortunately, I am out of ideas, so i will opt out to allow other technicians to potentially help you further.

remoteITpro
remoteITpro, Consultant

Good evening. My name is***** am on EST time, so it is 11:04pm here. I think Sheri was pretty close to getting you resolved. When you went to the link she sent you - the account you should have tried was***@******.*** - the account shown on the screen shot you sent for the Windows logon. You need to do a password ***** Does this make sense to you?

I apologize. My body is telling me it is time for a little rest. It is 12:09am 2/17/2018. I will be away from my computer for a few hours. I intend to return and check email by 9am EST. Please post any updates, and I will respond as soon as I can. Thanks, JimH

That makes sense. I will try it later. I will be out until noon. I am also on EST.

Good afternoon. Hope you had a good rest and morning. I am going to be out shortly for lunch with my family - older kids work schedule dictates - LOL. Anyway, let me know if you had tried or will try to recover that accounts password. Worst case scenario is an OS reload, we can cross that bridge at that time.

I think we are going to have to go with an operating system reload unless you have another idea. I have gone to the link and clicked that I forgot the password. They are supposed to send me a code to enter and ask how I would like them to send it. I check for them to call because that is the only option they give that will work. They have most of the phone number asterisked out. They supply the last two characters of the phone number and ask me to supply the last 4, including the two they give and they will call me with a code.. They give 98. I send back 6598 which is correct. Our phone number has been(###) ###-####for many years. However, when I supply the last 4 characters they do not call back with a code. I do not know what the problem is or how to get around this.
Now that I have been off the computer for a few days, it has changed what it is doing. Now when I got to the 3rd screen, it was as follows:
REFRESH YOUR PC
Forgot your password ***** don't see your account?
The list only shows administrator accounts that have previoulsy signe in to this PC, and does not include standard user or domain accounts. You need to be signed in as administrator to use some repair and restore tools If you don't have a password ***** any of these accounts, you can restart to try signing in to Windows to manage your user accounts.
RestartI then clicked on Restart and it took me back to the first screen of the 3 I sent before. I then entered the password ***** that screen and it took be back to screen 3 again. This time the screen was as follows:
That password ***** ***** Make sure you are using the password ***** your Microsoft account.
You can always reset it at
account.live.com/password/resetand we are now back where we were where I tried to reset it at account.live.com/password/reset. At least we are now getting more than the 3 screens that I sent previously to Sheri and it is not repeating 9s.

So sorry, and I completely understand if you had given up on me. And, now it is again time to take my family to dinner. Important question: Is there any data or files you need? If yes, stop now - and take to Best Buy or Staples. If not, then go to the link I am including - second option download media creation tool. Download, run and follow the steps. When I get back, we can discuss further. --JimH

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I understand. You have a life to live as do I. I will hear from you when you get back and have time. I will just wait for you. Now for my question: The only thing we need to save is the AOL address file. Will that be lost if we proceed? I don't know where it resides.

Hello again. Relatively fast dinner out. I guess the rain is keeping people from being out - LOL.

So, we are at the point where you can not logon because of password, and the password ***** is not working. And, you have an address list in AOL that is the only thing of concern. On your other computer, you should be able to logon to AOL web - as whatever account, and see if you addresses are there. Because, the reload - will wipe the disk - you will lose everything on the computer. If you have files you want/need/desire to recover, likely best to take to Staples or Best Buy and get them to get the files out and reload for you. If you want to proceed with the reload on your own - then click the link, and get the W10 media created. Once that is done, let me know. If you need help with that - let me know. --JimH

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you're satisfied with my assistance, your 5-star rating at this time is appreciated. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask!

I just checked with AOL. The address book is stored on their server, not on the computer, and can be accessed from any computer, so we are in the clear. I will click on the link you sent and proceed from there. I will not do it until tomorrow because I don't know how much time it will take or whether I might run into trouble. I will do it tomorrow then get back to you if I need further help. If not, I will get back to you to let you know the result. If everything works, as I am sure it will, you deserve and will get a 5 star rating. I have not rated the two technicians who helped before you. Am I supposed to rate them, too, or just the final person which is you?

Hello ALWalker. No worries. I am not sure how the rating works in a case such as this. Sorry for the delay again answering you - too many windows open. So sorry. Anyway, I'll ask JA Admins how that works, but I am not too worried, I just really enjoy helping people. I am blessed to have the experience to be able to help, even if mostly what I do is search for the answer myself. Anyway, I will look forward to hearing from you sometime tomorrow. No worries.

Sorry that I am not able to do the installation today. It says I need a USB Flash drive with at least 8GB. We just recently moved. I think I have some 8GB drives, but can't find anything but a 4GB so far. I may have to go to Staples or Office Depot and get one. It also says that I need a license to install Windows 10. I have to find out how to get the license. We are retired and neither of us drive any longer, so I will need to find a way to get to Staples or Office Depot. It may be 2 or 3 days before I can do the install.

kk. You may have to start a new case. Cases only stay open 36 hours on JA. --JimH

No Worries.

I just found a 64 GB flash drive, so I am OK there. I still need a license. To buy Windows 10 is approximately $120. We were quite satisfied with 8.1 that was on that computer. We have restore disks for it, but they are somewhere in storage from the move and I probably cannot locate them within the next few days. Do you know whether there is a way I can restore 8.1 from an internet download without having to pay for a new license?

Hello. ALWalker. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Your computer should have a Microsoft sticker on it. Find it. It is called the COA - Certificate of Authenticity. It will have the keycode for your license, or it should. It also tells which version your PC came with. If you do not have the media - the DVD, you can get it off ebay for probably under $10 - but you will use your keycode. You just need to make sure you get the right version. Understand, that reloading your OS will be a rather time consuming process. If you are not comfortable, and have the money - it will be easier to have Best Buy or Staples to do it for you. If you tell me what your COA says - which version, I can direct you to a link to buy the media. And, we may even be able to download it.

If your computer was upgraded to W10 - it is better to reload it with Windows 10.

I have looked everywhere I can think of - under the battery as well as under the computer and have not been able to find a Certificate of Authenticity. I assume there is no other place I can get it, such as from Dell?

Hello. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Yes, you can/should contact DELL to get the correct Recovery Media.

The computer was shipped with Windows 8 and later upgraded to 8.1. It has not been upgraded to 10.
I went to the Dell web site and was able to download a bootable system to my USB drive for that PC at no charge by entering its Service Tag. I have the bootable USB. I have done several system recoveries in the past but not for that PC. My only concern is being able to boot it with the problem we are having. After connecting the USB drive to the computer, the next instruction is to restart the PC and when the Dell logo appears, tap F!2 key until you see 'Preparing one time boot menu' in the top-right corner of the screen. I am afraid, with the problem we are having that when I start it, it will go directly to the screen 1 that I sent you. This is in the BIOS. I am afraid that I will not be able to get to the 'Preparing one time boot menu". I will try it tomorrow morning and let you know what happens. If I can't get to that point, I think it may be necessary to replace a damaged BIOS before I can do the system recovery, and I don't know whether I can do that or whether you can give me instructions for replacing a damaged BIOS or correcting the BIOS problem..

Good morning. I work for a state agency M-F 8-5 EST, I'll reply when I can. You sound pretty tech savvy. I doubt you have a damaged BIOS unless you were updating the BIOS when this problem occurred. You are correct on the steps. Start tapping that F12 key about once every half second right after pressing the power button. Sometimes/often it is just a matter of timing. But, you are on the right track. Good job! --JimH

We seem to be making progress. Windows seems to be installed and it is going through some setup. It is now saying that we are not connected to a network and wants me to connect with a physical connection or to make sure the wireless switch is on. One thing I don't like about the Dell is that there are no indicator lights, etc. I do not know how to tell if the wireless switch is on. From the symbol on the keys, it appears that the Print Screen key is the wireless switch but I cannot tell whether it is on or off or how to turn it on if it is off, so I am stuck at this point. The computer is on a wireless network so should not require a physical connection to the router but I am unable to display the networks. After a period of time, the computer seems to turn itself off, but there is no power indicator so I can't tell whether the computer is really off or whether it is in some other mode such as sleep mode.
  1. Motherboard or chipset drivers
  2. SATA controllers if not included with motherboard drivers
  3. Smartcard controller
  4. Video driver
  5. Audio Driver
  6. Network Interface Card (NIC)
  7. WiFi Adapter
  8. Touchpad, mice or keyboard drivers
  9. Others, such as printers, scanners, camera, etc

You are going to need to download and install the drivers. Support.dell.com put in your tag number. Install in the above order. Make sure no unnecessary USB devices are connected at this time.

If you look at Device Manager right now before you install the drivers, you will likely see a lot of issues - what I call Whammies - exclamation marks where it did not have a driver in the base Windows install packages.

1) I can't get it on the wireless network to get to the website to download the drivers.
2) When I turn it on, it goes to screen 1 of the 3 screens I sent you. I can then type in the password ***** hit enter and it will take me to the screen to sign on to windows then it takes me to the desktop. I can also get to the setup screen from screen 1 (which I am fairly certain is a BIOS screen) but I can't identify anything on this screen that will eliminate screen 1 and the need to enter a password ***** it. I want to get rid of screen 1, but how?

You do have another computer, correct? Use that, transfer the files to a USB flash/thumb drive.

Hi ALWalker,

" as I am sure it will, you deserve and will get a 5 star rating. I have not rated the two technicians who helped before you. Am I supposed to rate them, too, or just the final person which is you?"

I hope all is well and you are making significant progress. I spoke with JA Admin about this case, and if you accept and provide a rating - that will be attributed to me.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

The OS is the only thing that they give an option to download for the computer you are on or for another computer by USB. The drivers and apps apparently are downloadable for the computer you are on. There is no option to download them to put on a USB drive, only to apply them to the computer you are on. Is there any way to download them on this computer to apply them to the computer where we want them? It looks to me like they expect everything to be there already for me to connect to the internet but I cannot get it to detect wifi connections. This computer detects a number of wifi connections including mine.These 4 are the only drivers and apps they list as being applicable to Windows 8.1
Dell Digital Delivery Application
Dell Update Application
Realtek ALC3223 Audio Driver
Dell Inspiron 3441,3541 System BIOS
These 8 drivers and apps are listed as being applicable only to Windows 10
Dell Quickset Application
Realtek Card Reader Driver
Dell Touchpad Driver
Dell Wireless 1704 Bluetooth Driver
Realtek RTL8106E-US & RTL8111G-US Ethernet Controller Driver
Dell Wireless 1705 WiFi + Bluetooth Driver
Dell Airplane Mode Switch Driver
AMD Radeon R2/R3/R4 Graphics Driver

support.dell.com. Put in the Service Tag of the system you are trying to fix, do not use auto-detect. You have to individually download them, and manually save them to a USB stick - one at a time. We could probably do a Premium Remote Session with your working PC later this evening if you would, of course there is a charge for that. I'd also provide my phone number so we could talk. --JimH

If you feel that a remote session on the working PC would be worthwhile, we could do that but I am thinking that it probably would not be worthwhile since we can't do it on the non-working PC. I won't be available later this evening to do a remote session, but could do it tomorrow evening when you are available. If you need it, my phone number is(###) ###-#### In the meantime, tomorrow during the day I will try to download them as you suggested.
I think that the basic problem is that I can't get on the internet with that computer. Windows has to be activated, but I can't get on the internet to do it. Looking on the internet, the instructions for getting on the internet with a Dell Inspiron laptop is to click once on F2 only or to click on Fn and F2. I have not been able to get this to work, and apparently many other people have had the same problem from the comments on the internet. Since the internet symbol is shown on F9, I tried Fn + F9. This also did not work. On Dell, there is no indicator light to tell when you are connected to the internet as there is on an HP. Also, there is no power on/off light on the Dell. I think these are two fairly serious shortcomings of the Dell. IF I COULD GET ON THE INTERNET AND FIND MY WIFI NETWORK, I BELIEVE OUR PROBLEM WOULD BE SOLVED. I have been working on this most of the day without success. If you know how to do this, it would be most helpful.
I think the best way to proceed is probably as we have been doing, going back and forth. We are in a retirement community and my wife is on a feeding tube starting about 7:30 in the evening and lasting for approximately 8 hrs. Starting Saturday, she will also have a PICC line for 7 days for an intravenous antibiotic. That means that my time is very limited for a longer session where we could work together. It is relatively easy for me to be on for short stretches of a few minutes, but not for a continued period of time.

No worries. I was not/am not feeling the best today, and have went to bed early. I will read tomorrow and post some thoughts then.

Hello Again. I likewise - am not the kind of person who ever hurries. Sorry. So, I realize the PC that works is not the one that is broken. The one that works will be used to download the drivers, then the drivers get copied to removable media - like a USB flash/thumb drive, then that gets put in the broken mchine, and then installed.

Please go to control panel - device manager - take a picture and send to me, of the broken PC.

remoteITpro
remoteITpro, Consultant
Sorry for the slow response. We spent most of the day at the hospital where my wife was supposed to get a PICC line put in. Due to a mixup, they were unable to do it. We have to go back tomorrow and will probably have to spend most of the day there again.
I don't think I can do what you asked for. I cannot use Windows until it is activated and so far, I haven't been able to connect that computer to the internet to activate Windows. I think I have to find some way to get it on the internet before I can do anything else.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just gave you a 5 rating. We have not quite finished through no fault of yours. I have been sick a few days.
For various reasons I have not been able to keep at it. You have done an excellent job and we are almost there. I will discontinue the work with you because I am unable to keep from dragging it out. I will try a few more things on my own and if they don't work, I will take it to Office Depot, Staples, or Best Buy in the interest of time. I have never used any of them for computer repair. Do you have any recommendations concerning any to avoid or one you would recommend most highly?
I thank you for all your hard work and time on this and sorry we did not complete it but it was my fault, not yours.
Thanks again, Allen Walker

Hi Allen, I am so sorry you have been sick. Thank you much for the 5 Star rating. I have no personal experience or other clients who have used the services of those places, but I have a colleague who works at a local Best Buy - so, my preference is Best Buy. But, I would imagine they are all about the same. You've had quite a rough go - you and your wife. I pray for comfort, healing, and blessings. Again, thank you for working with me - and your patience. I wish we lived closer and I could just pick your PC up and fix it for you! Keep me posted. j h e v e n e r @ h e v e n e r . n e t is my personal email, without the spaces of course. Best to you and your wife - and computers! --JimH

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Jim,
I just tried to rate another expert as a 4. It came back with your picture, etc. So I am wondering if it changed your rating to a 4 rather than applying it to the other expert. Please check if you can and let me know if it came our as a 4 rather than a 5. If it did, I will try to change it back. Thanks again, Allen

Hi Allen. You are so kind and thoughtful. I do not worry too much about the ratings, of course - I do strive to provide 5 star service though. Looks to me like it is showing you gave me five stars. No worries. Blessings. --JimH

remoteITpro
remoteITpro
remoteITpro, Consultant