Friday night i fell for a tech support scam from a group…

Friday night i fell...

Friday night i fell for a tech support scam from a group called mwsupport. I gave them control of my computer for a time and they installed some icons on my desktop including ATF-Cleaner. I paid some money from my bank account but not enough for the multi-year protection package they offerred. Now the contact person has called back and wants the balance of payment. What is likely to happen if i refuse to pay? A savvy friend has scanned my desktop and couldn't find any recently installed software program. Also, norton and mcafee virus scans have been clean. I am currently running your security scan which i downloaded but it has not yet finished. Thanks

Technician's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Software Technician's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require). When could you last open your Norton software?

I can open it now. do you think it has been compromised?

Technician's Assistant: Did you recently update your software or Operating System (OS)?

Not to my knowledge but some updates take place automatically

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

The script i fell for is almost word for word from an article on your website about a tech support scam. my question is what do i do now

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/23/2018
Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

You are at www.justanswer.com services.
I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.

what version of windows is running on the computer

Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
windows 10 home

Follow these steps
Click here for remote assistance
in the page that opens you will see just answer remote desktop..scroll down the page and click on i agree
it will download a file Elsinore screen connect exe at bottom of screen
once its downloaded, open\run the file ..you can double click on it to run it
once it starts to run it will ask do you want to allow the file to make changes...say yes to it

let me know once the computer has restarted

Customer hiCustomer michelle this sideCustomer i am now connected
Guest: kCustomer i would like to know few things before i begin a check on the pcCustomer after the scammer called you, did you restart the computer
Guest: yesCustomer ok. i will make the required checksCustomer please note that in a are case that i get disocnnected rom remote screen you can open the just answer email and clcik view response and reply to me
Guest: don't know if you can see my screen but microsoft scan about to end - 2 infected files foundCustomer yes i do seeCustomer i will be running some advanced scans that remove the malicious files that scanners use to infect the computerCustomer will take mouse control nowCustomer computer was badly infectedCustomer maliciousfiles have been detectedCustomer i will proceed with removalCustomer during removal computer will restart once and i should get reconnectedCustomer in a are case that i dont i will save my page to favoritesCustomer you can open it gaain from thereCustomer 113 files were foundCustomer reconnectedCustomer did the computer restart
Guest: notice that support tollfree number still on bottom of screen
Guest: yes to restartCustomer yes will remove that\need to go one step at a timeCustomer can you tell on which date did the scammer connect to your pc and install those icons
Guest: friday 1/19/18Customer okCustomer 0 threats foundCustomer seems its good to go
Guest: scammer called to get balance of protection package payment. assume i can decline to pay more scam money?Customer yes dont pay anymoreCustomer dont share your bank details or card detaisl with them
Guest: do you recommend i purchase malwarebytes program?
Guest: since they had control of computer isn't it likely they have all credit card info now?Customer malwarebytes tops in our list when it comes to removing infectionCustomer you can call your bank and inform them though if you have notgiven the details yourself then they would not have an idea about your banking details
Guest: unfortunately i made a partial paymentt thru my bank friday using a new 'transfer to friend' program at the bankCustomer you can call your bank and tell them that to block anyfurther payments to the person you made a payment on fridayCustomer they would help you with the same
Guest: k. should i also change banking or other passwords?Customer that should not be needed but you can ask your bank and they will be able to tell if its needed or not
Guest: thanks. anything more you need to do?Customer no i believe we are all set for safe computing nowCustomer i will end the remote session nowCustomer thanks for using the service