It won't connect with the internet. I get a stop code:

Customer Question
It won't connect with...

It won't connect with the internet. I get a stop code: inaccessible boot device message.

Technician's Assistant: Are you able to connect using an ethernet cable?

Perhaps, but I'm not all that computer savvy.

Technician's Assistant: Which lights are colored and/or blinking on your router?

All green; my wife is on her iPad using the same wifi.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

I'm using my cell phone to reach you.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
1/20/2018
Tech Support Specialist: David L, Systems Engineer replied 4 months ago
David L
David L, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Do you still need assistance?

no change in the situation here.
I'm not sure how you would connect to the device without an internet connection.
I'm only able to reach you on my cell phone.

My apologies for the delay.

If your computer has a CD/DVD drive with a disc in it, remove the disc. Also, if there are any USB storage devices plugged in to the computer remove them. Then reboot and let me know the result.

My apologies for the delay.

No disc or USB storage device of any kind in it/attached. Re-booted & get the same screen w/message: Your PC did not start correctly.

Ok, thanks.

What is the make and model of your computer?

It's a Dell Inspiron 5559.

Ok, thanks - just a moment...

Boot the computer and immediately press the F2 key and the BIOS screen should appear.

Then on the default screen there should be a list of devices including the hard drive. Find the hard drive or HDD entry and confirm that the make and model of the hard drive is displayed with size of the drive then let me know what is displayed.

Processor L2 cache 512KB
Processor L3 cache 4096 KB
MEMORY INSTALLED: 8192 MB
MEMORY AVAILABLE: 8111 MB
Intel (R) Core (TM)i7-6500U***@******.***.
Boot sequence: Windows Boot Manager, UEFI: WDC WD10JPVX-75JC3TO, Partition 1
Boot list option: UEFI

Ok, thanks.

So in the screen where the Intel CPU type is displayed the hard drive should be listed as well. Do you see the hard drive listed on the first screen in the BIOS?

I have three areas: system information, memory information, & processor information. The CPU info was under 'processor. Other info under processor: core count, Processor ID, current clock speed, min. clock speed, max. clock speed, L2 cache, L3cache, HT capable (yes) and 64-Bit Technology (yes, Intel EM64T)
Bios version = 1.4.1

Ok thanks.

So other than the boot menu, is there anywhere else in the BIOS menus that the hard drive name and size is displayed?

I see no mention of the hard drive. From the memory section, I see: speed =1600MHz, channel mode= Dual InterLeave, technology= LPDDR3 SDRAM, DIMM A size = 4096 MB, DIMM B size = 4096 MB.

The WDC WD10JPVX-75JC3TO is the hard drive however it is usually displayed elsewhere in the BIOS which would show that the hard drive is communicating with the BIOS/system board.

Assuming that the WDC WD10JPVX-75JC3TO listing was received from the hard drive it would indicate that the hard drive is still operational.

What operating system is on the system (such as Windows 10, 8 or 7)?

Also, do you have an installation disc for the operating system?

Operating system is Windows 10.
I probably do have the installation disc, but I'm done for tonight. I had no idea that it would take so long. We'll have to pick up where we left off tomorrow.

Ok, I will be here tomorrow.

You will need the installation disc in order to boot and repair the computer. When you are ready, click the following link to download the Media Creation Tool that downloads and creates a Windows 10 installation image that you can either burn to a DVD or write directly to a USB drive.

Since it appears the computer does not have a CD/DVD drive, once you download and run the Media Creation Tool, also have a USB drive that is at least 8 Gigabytes in size with no files on it plugged into the computer that you use to download the image. Then when you run the Media Creation Tool choose the option to write the downloaded image directly to the USB drive and once complete, plug the USB drive into the computer that is not booting, power up the computer, boot into the installation environment, and do the following:

Booting off the USB drive and select Next then Repair.

Select Advanced options in the menu that appears, then select Troubleshoot >

Advanced Options > Startup Repair. Once Startup Repair is running it will

scan for and fix problems keeping the system from booting. Then once

completed, reboot and test to see if the issue is resolved.

Tech Support Specialist: David L, Systems Engineer replied 3 months ago

Do you still need assistance?

No...I took it back to where I bought it this morning. They're going to fix the problem.

Ok, sounds good and thanks for letting me know.

Best regards,

David.

David L
David L
David L, Systems Engineer