When I tried to install Windows Office 2016 on my desktop, I…

When I tried to...

When I tried to install Windows Office 2016 on my desktop, I got a warning that something was wrong and I needed to call a number, 1-***-***-****. Long story short, they did have access to my computer and said they would "clean up my network" for $180. Is this legitimate? I got very nervous and got out of the connection.

Technician's Assistant: Does your network appear in the Wi-Fi list on your laptop?

Yes, it does.

Technician's Assistant: Which lights are solid and which are blinking on your router?

None of the lights are blinking

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I'm concerned that this was a scam.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/17/2018
technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I will help you now.

I am sorry to tell you this is a scam. Is your computer working well at this time?

it seems to be okay.

Well, it is with good luck that you didn't fall for it, because your computer would have likely been locked up by them.

Please let me know if you need further information, or if you are satisfied with the information/answer I've given you today. Thank You.

Thank you. So how can I install Office 2016 on my desk top without the warning coming up. It’s already installed on my laptop.

There should be no warning , unless your computer is infected. Please try to install the software again if you were installing from a disc.

I was installing from a “card” I bought at WalMart where you scratch off the silver to get a product key. Is there a way to just transfer Office from the laptop to the desktop?

You can't install it from the card. From where are you downloading the office installation? A website?

The instructions are to go to office.com/setup and type in the product key and follow instructions from there.

That would be the microsoft site. Are you saying when you go there, login, and download, that you are still getting the warning?

NOTE: I sent you an offer for remote desktop where I could login and fix this for you . This would be the best way if you are still having trouble.

That’s where I’m getting the warning. I think I’ll just use my laptop for Office and call it good. Thanks.

OK. however, if you are getting a warning, then you may have a virus active on that computer, because it's not coming from the Microsoft site.

If I've helped you today, please remember to rate my time and help to you. Rating costs nothing more. I strive for excellent five star service, and you can follow up with me for no additional fee at any time. Thank You.

technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant
Thank you.