I was warned about two dangers to my computer security

Customer Question
I was warned about...

I was warned about two dangers to my computer security called Meltdown and Spectre. I was told to be sure my computer was updated to avoid these problems. Can you help me with this?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?

The brand is Hewlett Packard. I don't know the model. By operating system would you mean Windows or something else?

Technician's Assistant: The Computer Technician will be able to walk you through that. How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

Nothing has happened so far. I was just warned that it was danger and that I should check with Microsoft to see if all the needed updates had been sent out.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Only that I am far from being tech savvy.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer
1/16/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Josh, Support Specialist replied 7 months ago
Josh, Support Specialist

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Can I connect to your computer to fix the issues?

I don't want to pay anything extra.

It is an additional fee to connect to your computer.

Can you just tell me if Meltdown and Spectre are serious problems and is Microsoft working to solve the problems? Or is that above your paygrade?