When i turn the laptop on I get a strange message, no lenovo…

When i turn the...

When i turn the laptop on I get a strange message, no lenovo logo just the message.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?

Lenovo model 20255 8,1

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Lenovo? Have you installed any updates recently?

I had a watermark that said the secure boot was not confingured correctly so i want looking for a fix and downloaded what microsoft said would solve that problem, but when I turned the laptop on I got this message

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Now the screen went black

1/16/2018
IT Miro, Computer Scientist

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

I am sorry for the issue. Please power off and then power on your laptop. Let me know what you see on the screen.

Let me know by typing a reply below. I will work with you on this problem until it has been resolved.

Thanks,

Intel UNDI, PXE =2.0
copyright `997-200 Intel Corporation
For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v.2.1.1.2 (09-06-12)
Check cable connection!
PXE-MOF : exiting INtel PXE ROMTook so long as it it flashing on the screen, I am of course on someone else's laptop
I am not on that device so how can you connect to it?

Remote assistance won't work in this case, since the problem is with another computer. You can ignore the prompt you see.

Please do the following:

1. Completely turn off the laptop

2. Disconnect the power connector from the affected laptop as well as any other hardware that may be connected such as mouse, printer, external hard disk drive, etc

3. Turn the laptop over and remove the laptop battery if you can

4. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, and then release it

5. Now re-connect the power adapter and the battery if you removed it and turn the laptop on

Let me know if there are any changes.

It is flashing the same message.
Are you still there?
it uses Windows 8.1 and I love it so I don't want to get a new one.

Thanks for the information!

Here is what to do:

1. Completely power off your Lenovo laptop

2. Wait for 10 seconds

3. Press the Lenovo button located right next to the power button - you may need to press it a few times

4. The laptop should power on. Let me know what you see on the screen

Novo Button Menu

Good. Please use the keyboard arrow keys to navigate, and then select BIOS Setup and press Enter. You should then see several menus (tabs). Please type here their names.

Information Configuration Security Boot Exit

OK. Please select the last tab - Exit. You should see Load Setup Defaults (or an option with similar name). Select it and press Enter. Confirm the changes by pressing the Y key and then Enter. After that, press the F10 key and confirm that you want to save and exit.

Your computer will then restart. Let me know if there are changes after the restart.

It is asking if I want to exit saving changes. What should I press Yes or No?

Select Yes to exit saving changes.

Can you believe it!!! It went back to the flashing message :(

Let's try something else. Please power off your laptop and then press the Lenovo button again. Select BIOS Setup and press Enter.

Now select the Boot tab and let me know the options you see there. You should see their names on the left and their status (such as Enabled or Disabled) on the right. Please list them here.

Boot Mode Legacy Support
Boot Priority UEFI First
USB Boot Enabled
PXE Boot to LAN Enabled
Could I have a loose cable inside the laptop since the message kept saying check cable connection?

The message you see about the cable connection is for the network boot, which you can ignore. I don't think there is a loose cable inside the laptop. On the Boot tab, please disable Legacy support if it is enabled, and also, disable "USB Boot" and "PXE Boot". If you see something about "Secure Boot", make sure to enable it. Once done, go to the Exit tab and select "Exit saving changes". Press Yes. The laptop should restart and boot to Windows.

Let me know the results.

I disabled the USB Boot and PXE Boot. How do I disable the Legacy support do I use UEFI? There is nothing for Secure Boot.

Check if there is a sub-menu you can enter. Select each option there and press Enter. You might find Secure Boot there. The goal is to disable Legacy support which is used for older Windows versions, such as Windows 7. Windows 8 and newer Windows versions use Secure Boot with UEFI enabled.

I see no sub menu just information on Legacy except SAT ODD Matshita DVD-RAM UJ8D which I think is just manufacturer information.
Remember my operating system is Windows 8.1, that might make a difference.
Can I change Legacy Support to UEFI?

Are you able to select "Legacy Support" and press Enter to see the available options?

When I press enter on Legacy Support I get a mini menu that shows UEFI and Legacy Support

Oh, I see. Please do that and select UEFI there. That will disable Legacy Support. After that, go to the Exit tab and select Exit saving changes and confirm by selecting Yes.

A new message :
Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed
Insert Recovery Media and Hit any key
Then Select 'Boot Manager' to choose a new Boot Device or to Boot Recovery Media

Please go back to the BIOS Settings and then select the first tab - Information. Check what it says for "Hard Disk".

BIOS Startup or BIOS Setup?

BIOS Setup

Hard Disk (Not Detected)

Well... we found the cause of the problem! Windows 8.1 won't boot since the hard disk cannot be detected.

How do we fix it or do I have to go to Best Buy :)

Do you remember making any changes to your laptop recently, such as installing or uninstalling programs? Also, did you maybe drop your laptop?

I had a watermark on my screen that said something about the secure boot not being configured and went looking for a solution. I found one at a microsoft site and downloaded it. My computer worked fine and so I shut it off and laid it on the floor. maybe that jarred it some I am not sure. I needed to check something so I turned the laptop back on and got that flashing message.

It looks like you did jar it in some way since I don't think the hard disk could become non-detectable after downloading and installing some program. Anyway, let's hope that the hard disk only got disconnected, and that it is still working. What you will need to do is remove the bottom compartment so that you can get to the hard disk. After that, you need to remove the hard disk and you can blow the dust out, if any found, and then re-connect it. So, a simple disconnect-connect.

After that, power the laptop and see if it will boot to Windows 8.1 as before (or at least show that the hard disk is there under the Bios Setup - Information tab).

In order to accomplish this task, you can watch a video that shows how to get to the hard disk on your laptop model. Here is the video link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaYFKKj4Xqw

However, if you are not comfortable doing this, you can take your laptop to a local computer repair shop, and let them do it for you.

Hopefully, that should solve the problem. However, if the hard disk is still not being detected, it means it's dead and you will need to replace it by buying a new one.

Regards,

IT Miro, Computer Scientist
OK, thank you very much. I think I will take it to be repaired. I hate to think I might damage it more. Plus if I need a new hard drive they can do that for me.

You're welcome!

If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know.

Regards,