On 12/12/17 I received a computer alert stating that my

Customer Question
On 12/12/17 I received...

On 12/12/17 I received a computer alert stating that my computer had a Zeus Virus and not to turn it off. they gave me a phone number to call to correct the problem. I know little about computers so I called a friend who is very knowledgeable with computers. He contacted Microsoft regarding the virus problem and thought that this was a scam. He came over the next day and ran ran several tests looking for a virus. None was found. He then installed some antimalware on my computer.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update Anti-Malware?

12/12 /17 today I was trying to Download Malwarebytes and my computer stopped and the message came up Computer alert call microsoft(###) ###-#### and don't turn off the computer My computer would not respond to the usual way of turning it off so I turned it off with the button on the tower any suggestions ? I think that the number they gave me was a Hoax

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
1/15/2018
Tech Support Specialist: ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast replied 4 months ago
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you with this!

These pop-up messages are NOT legitimate. This is a scam that is going around right now where you will encounter a message saying that your computer has been hacked or you have a virus or something along those lines and that you need to call a number to have the problem fixed. The whole thing just a ploy to get money from you.

The way it works is that small tech companies will pay third-party advertisers to insert their phone numbers into these pop up messages. So what you're actually seeing is a carefully crafted advertisement.

Sometimes these companies will claim to be Microsoft or HP or some other well known company. This is always a lie. Microsoft has released a statement saying they never contact customers directly about computer issues and that all contact must first be initiated by the customer.

If you receive these messages in the future, simply close them out.

You should be able to close the messages out by following these steps:

1. Hold Ctrl+Alt+Delete on your keyboard and then select Task Manager from the menu that comes up.

2. In the list of running programs, find the name of your browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, whatever you use), click on it to highlight it, and then click the End Task button in the bottom right corner.

That should close the message out 99% of the time.

If it won't let you close it out, then you can just hold down the power button on your computer for 5 to 10 seconds to do a hard shutdown. Once you restart your computer the message should be gone.

If you have any other questions on this, just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

NOTE: If you have no further questions, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS or better so that I receive credit for assisting you. Just click to rate.

ChrisC
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast