My Verizon galaxy note phone just locked up when I touched…

My Verizon galaxy note...

My Verizon galaxy note phone just locked up when I touched the facebook ap. It won't even shut down.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update Facebook?

I have not updated facebook.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Facebook?

This is from my phone and I just touched the ap icon. I am nervous because we are going to have a severe winter storm and my phone wont respond to anything I try.

1/12/2018
RussellA
RussellA, Information Systems Manager

Please press and hold the power button on your Note for 30 seconds or so to force shutdown. After that press power on again, just like you would normally to start the phone. Please let me know if this resolves your issue. If not I have next steps for you.

The next step is

Clear the data on the Facebook app, then uninstall updates. Do not log into the Facebook app.

Eventually it will update through the app. When you get a notification it updated, go to the App Manager, then downloaded apps. Look for these two files listed with your downloaded apps.

com.facebook.appmanager
com.facebook.system

Uninstall updates on those, then disable them. Then uninstall updates on the Facebook app and sideload the version you want or update through the Play Store.

I use version 27 because it allows a tiny app to trick Facebook into thinking you have messenger and you can still message through the app.

Starting with version 28, Facebook fixed that and no one has found a workaround for the newer versions of Facebook.

RussellA
RussellA, Information Systems Manager
Actually, I couldn't even turn my phone off, however I just took the battery out and put it back in and this seems to have taken care of the problem. Thank you for your prompt reply. Getting the phone to turn off and back on helped fix the problem. Should I just not use facebook icon?
Thank you for your help. Goodbye

You should follow those second steps I provided if the issue keeps happening. Once you update to the latest version of Facebook, you should not have any more of those issues.

It was my pleasure to help you, if anything else comes up, please don't hesitate to find me again, you can find me on RussellA.com